Nathan McCall

1 week later

I stood outside the conference room, waiting for Hunter and his lawyer. We were finally going to have a look at where we're at in the trial.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the famous Sophia Bass or should I say Lodge now?" I heard a voice that I wish I didn't recognize.

No, no. I winched at the thought of seeing him. Please anybody but him.

I turned around to face him. Nathan McCall. The only person I'd wish both sides of their pillow was warm. The person who made my high school life a living hell because I didn't have friends. Of course, he had to be Hunter's lawyer of all people. He's a big shot now.

I squeezed my eyes before turning around to him.

"You know I've always wondered how you managed to get Hunter Lodge to marry you," he said observing me from head to toe.

"You know I've always wondered how I managed to not to slap you across your face as yet."

He glared at me. "You know you might have the fancy job and husband but you're still the same kid you were in high school."

"Oh grow up. You're almost thirty and you're still trying to be a bully. Your words don't affect me anymore."

He moved closer to my ear. "Don't think I forgot the time you got so drunk you slept with me."

I froze from hearing the memory I tried so hard to bury. He backed off with a smug smirk on his face as I stood there speechless.

Hunter walked past us as he typed something on his phone. We both trailed behind him like two guilty puppies.

Hunter sat at the head of the table while Nathan and I sat across from each other. Hunter looked on his watch then turned to Nathan.

"I have a meeting in forty minutes. Finish this in ten."

Nathan nodded as he got his papers together. "Okay...so your father is suing on the count of physical and mental abuse. His lawyer hasn't presented any evidence as to the physical assault charges and neither for mental abuse."

"The woman testifying...if I remember correctly, I think it's Ms. Turner. She was not present when your father said he was being abused so his witness for the charge is not admissible. However, she is qualified for the mental abuse but her statement is yet to be released."

Hunter nodded as he absorbed all the information that was given. "Let me see those documents."

"Of course sir," Nathan said, sliding him the paper he was skimming through.

I looked up only to see Nathan watching me. I narrowed my eyes at him and he mimicked my actions.

I pretended I was scratching my temple with my middle finger.

"Will you two stop acting so childish!" Hunter snapped. "Gosh, it's annoying. I'm trying to concentrate here."

I lowered my gaze. He was grumpy from since yesterday. One of the workers had messed up and our servers went down for four hours which made us lose a huge sum of money.

"Thank you," he mumbled as he turned back to his papers. "Oh, and Mr. McCall, if you talk to my wife like that again, I'll make sure you never practice law again."

I snapped my head up. Hunter was still casually reading through the document as if he didn't just threaten to ruin someone's career. Nathan's face on the other hand went so pale, you would've thought he was a vampire.

"Y-ye-yes sir." he managed to say.

Although I felt guilty that Hunter overheard our conversation, I was very grateful that he stood up for me even when he was pissed off with the world right now. Hunter was a person who barely gave threats.

He pushed the document over to me and I looked at him puzzled.

"Read it and tell me if it sounds good. I need your professional opinion, Mrs. Lodge."

I froze. Hunter seldom ever asks me for my professional opinion. I know it's because he thinks I'm not good enough. To this day, there are still people who do not treat women equally. Well, not in the world of business I should say. "W-what?"

He smiled before pointing his finger to his eyes. "Read." he then pointed to the document. "Paper."

I could hear Nathan chuckling in the background but immediately stopped when Hunter glared at him.

"Oh."

Why was I feeling intimated by my husband?

I did as he said. I read everything down to the fine print. Of course, the ten minutes Hunter had said he wanted was long overdue but I made sure to read it all. Everything seemed good except it was missing one thing. "The punishment."

Both men watched me confused.

"If Hunter were to be found guilty what would be the punishment? Would they behead him or chop off a finger or execute him or send him to jail and the list continues. You forgot to add the most important part."

Nathan looked down at his other papers as he smiled sheepishly. I turned to Hunter who gave me gave a thumbs up with a small smile.

Nathan finally found what he was looking for.

"They won't behead him," he laughed. "they'll just give him a small slap on the risks or nothing at all thanks to his status and the corrupt justice system. He would just have to pay a small fine but by the looks of this case, he'll be getting away scot-free because he will be found innocent."

"I might not be a great person but I'm a pretty damn great lawyer and I will win this case. After all, evidence is presented, we'll have smooth sailing."

I listened to him and believed every word he said. I've heard about him winning many complicated cases so to him this was probably a walk in the park.

Hunter stood up and stretched out his hand to Nathan. "Good seeing you again Mr. McCall."

Nathan immediately stood up to shake his hand. "You too sir."

Hunter then fixed his jacket. "I'll be leaving you two now. See you later Mrs. Lodge."

I gave him a slight nod before he left. Within five seconds he came back.

"Oh and Mr. McCall, if I hear my wife ever complain about you, I'll ruin you right on the spot. Now I'll be leaving."

I try to hide the smile that grew on my face because of his overprotectiveness. I wasn't sure if he was making my situation worse or better. Nathan might say I'm so weak that I let my husband fight my own battles for me which was not true. I worked my ass off not to be remembered as some rich kid who got pushed around.

Nathan stood up and I braced myself for the impact of the words which were going to leave his mouth. I thought he would say something so crushing I wouldn't be able to move. Instead, he stretched out his hand.

My eyes widened as I looked up at his towering figure.

"I'm sorry."

I watched him confused.

"You got me there with punishment section. I should have paid better attention. I'm somehow growing to respect you. I know a simple handshake can't take away all those years of torture but I hope you accept it."

I know he was only saying all this sweetness because he was terrified of Hunter but I shook his hand anyway.

Thanks to Hunter, an issue from my past has somewhat been resolved.