Epilogue

8 months later

"Ma'am, where'd you want these?" a tall, stocky guy holding a case of canned sodas asked.

"Uhh..." I thought as I looked around. "Over there!"

He nodded before walking to the table I pointed at. Today was Blaze's first birthday and we were throwing a party for him.

I watched as Hunter rushed over to me. He was sweating like crazy.

"Shit Sophia, the guests are already arriving," he stopped to take a breath. "What are we gonna do? I knew I shouldn't have trusted Zach to do anything. He's always late for everything."

I laughed as I held him. "Relax Hunter. Everything is going to work out. Plus we don't need it right now."

Hunter had asked Zach to pick up the birthday cake since he knew in advance that he would be busy setting up the party.

Moya then walked out with a crying Blaze in her hand.

"Mama...dada!" he cried.

"There's the birthday boy!" I said as I took Blaze from her. I saw Moya have the biggest yawn. "Moya, why don't you take a nap."

She shook her head. "No, you have to set up. I'm fine."

"It's fine, I'm mostly finished here."

"Thanks," she said before giving me a small smile and walking off.

She needed the rest. She started Green Law two months ago. She had stayed up all night last night to study for her test this morning. Even while starting law school, she still worked for me. I told her I could lend her the money so she could focus more on school but she refused my offer. She insisted on earning her money.

"Mama...dada!" Blaze repeated. Those were two out of the four words he knew how to say; the other two being 'duce'-which is supposed to be 'juice'- and 'ba-bye'.

When he first said 'mama' and 'dada', Hunter and I couldn't stop smiling for weeks.

"Let's get the birthday boy dressed," Hunter said as he took Blaze from me and walked off.

I blew air out of my cheeks as I sat down for a little bit. I've been on my feet non-stop since this morning. This was my first time planning a kid's birthday party so I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

I saw Kennedy and Lynda heading my way. They were supposed to be here 2 hours ago. Hunter and I had to take care of this all by ourselves.

"Hey, where can we help?" Kennedy asked.

I glared at them but softened my expression. I shouldn't be mad at them. It was my kid's birthday party, not theirs. They owed me no responsibility but I just hoped Hunter and I wouldn't have to do it all on our own that's all. "It's fine, everything's handled."

"Okay," Lynda said looking around. "Where's that birthday boy? His godmothers brought him gifts."

I closed my eyes and leaned back for a minute. "He's getting dressed."

"A lot of people are starting to arrive. I barely see any kids here," Kennedy mentioned.

How could I invite a lot of kids? Blaze was only one and had no friends except for Lynda's kids. This party was mainly to create a memory with Blaze. I changed the subject.

"Kennedy, where is Zach? Blaze is going to turn ten before the cake arrives here."

"He's coming, he's coming. You should go get dressed, you look like a mom."

"But I am a-" before I could finish, she stopped me.

"You know what I meant. Just go put on something hot." I didn't move. "Go!"