Let It Go

TW: THIS CHAPTER MENTIONS OVERDOSESAGE!

1 week later

Hunter and I took some time off from work for the past week. We decided to spend it all with Blaze. We stayed in my old house, went sightseeing, the beach and the petting zoo. I know that Blaze probably won't remember any of this and we would have to take him again when he's older but I still wanted to spend time with him.

We took lots of pictures and created a cute album. It was something neither Hunter nor I ever had.

I quickly put on my uniform. I knew Hunter and I were in for a load of work when we go back to our offices. When I reached downstairs, Hunter was still in his pajamas feeding Blaze.

"Hunter you have to go to work," I said, rushing into the kitchen to pour my coffee.

He smiled at Blaze, completely mesmerized. "One more day."

I sighed and watched them. The wiser choice was for Hunter to go to work but I was not going to stand in the way of him spending time with his son.

I sighed once more being a little jealous that I couldn't stay home one more day with them. I couldn't put off work any longer. For the whole of last week, my phone had been ringing about postponing meetings. However, I told them that my family comes first so they'll have to be put on the back burner, and let me tell you, a lot of them weren't pleased.

I kissed both my boys before driving off to work.

...

When I walked to my office, I saw Kennedy sitting while bouncing her legs up and down vigorously. I hadn't seen nor spoken to her since I left the mall.

"Kennedy."

She immediately jumped up and hugged me when she heard my voice. "Sophia."

I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into my office. I closed the door and blinds then walked with her to the sofa.

"What's wrong?"

"I-I'm sorry." she cried. "I guess I got a little bit territorial."

I pulled her in and rubbed her back.

"You think?" I asked and I could feel her cracking up.

I pulled away and looked at her seriously. "Kennedy, you can't be like that. That's not how I want our friendship to go."

She looked down as she wiped away her tears. "I know, I went to your house and apologized to Moya and everything. The thing is that I don't want to lose you."

I looked at her confused. "Kens, what are you talking about?"

"I know I've been embarrassing you lately and what kind of businesswoman wants to be best friends with a kindergarten teacher?"

I nodded my head in agreement. "You're right."

She quickly looked up at me with a surprised expression.

"What? Did you expect me to say that's not true?" I asked and she didn't reply which meant she did. "Look Kennedy, everything you just said was true but how does that indicate that I don't want this? Who cares if you're a kindergarten teacher? You're my best friend and best friends accept each other's flaws."

Her eyes and mouth were wide open. She placed her right hand over her chest area. "And there I thought for a second the Sophia Lodge was incapable of saying something sentimental."

I shook my head with a smile as I poured water into two cups. I handed her one cup.

"So are we clear now?" I asked and she nodded with a smile.

"Crystal," she said before taking a sip of the water. "Can you believe all that drama happened in the group chat?"

I looked at her confused. What drama?

"When last have you checked your messages?"

I picked up my phone and saw over one thousand unread messages from our group chat that were sent 30 minutes ago. My mouth dropped.

"What happened?" I asked scrolling through the chat. I didn't have the time to read through all these messages.

"We were just making plans for the group to go out and then Jack and Sabrina started arguing out of nowhere then broke up."

My eyes landed on Hunter's message.

😛

Accident.

I know this was a serious situation but I couldn't help but laugh. Kennedy looked at me confused but continued talking.

"I tried calling Sabrina but she wouldn't pick up. Jack told her that I told him to break up with her, which I didn't!"

My mouth opened to say something but nothing came out. I was a bit confused.

This is probably why my parents didn't want me to have friends and just focus on business. They come with too much drama.

I heard a knock on the door and Jannette walked in. "Mr. Ross is outside waiting ma'am."

I nodded then turned to Kennedy. "Don't you have five years to teach? Go and call me if you hear anything from Sabrina."

She smiled and gave me a quick hug before rushing out.

...

I sighed as I closed the door behind me. I haven't had such a packed day in a long time. The house was quiet so I went to search for the occupants.

Blaze was on the couch in the living room passed out. I raised an eyebrow. "Where's Hunter?"

I looked around but I couldn't find him. I finally walked to the terrace, where I saw him facing the view before him.

I smiled as I walked up to him. He had a beer bottle in his hand and he looked furious. My smile dropped as anger took over me.

"Are you seriously drunk right now? While taking care of Blaze?"

He ignored me as he continued to take a mouthful of the liquor. I tried to pull it away from him but his grip tightened on it as his head snapped to me.

"Let. It. Go."

I immediately dropped my hands. I had never seen nor heard him act like that to me in that tone before. I was a bit scared. I didn't know what was happening.

He started to laugh humorlessly as he shook his head.

"That bitch..." he mumbled.

I knew he and his friends were close but I didn't imagine he would be this upset over Jack and Sabrina's breakup. It was sad but nothing to get this upset over.

"Fix feet under and she's still tormenting me." he turned to me with now a sad expression. "When will I ever be free from this shit Soph?"

I was beginning to feel confused. What is he talking about?

He sighed before falling back on the sofa and resting down the bottle on the center table. He leaned back as he spread his legs to be in a manspreading position.

"She-she-she overdosed Soph," he said softly to me as I could see water filling his eyes.

My heart sank as I watched him. I've never seen him in such a distorted state. I sat down next to him and placed my hand on his shoulder to let him know that I was here. "Who Hunter, who overdosed?"

His lips started quivering and his eyes continued watering like a little puppy. He bit his lips and looked away, trying not to give in to his emotions but failed miserably. I was starting to think he believed in those men don't cry shit.

"Margret."

He finally broke down and allowed the overwhelming tears to flow down his cheeks. I wasted no time in pulling my husband into a warm hug.