New Head Maid

As soon as I closed the blinds and shut the door behind us, I turned around with a huge smile plastered on my face.

"Did you hear that?" I asked, jumping onto him.

I felt his body vibrate as he laughed. "Calm down Sophia."

I jumped down him now. "Calm down? We just heard our company was getting ranked first in the world. Calming down is the last thing I want to do!"

This was good. Everything is going according to plan. Once we hit top rank, we will be practically unstoppable. In a good way of course. Smaller companies will want to ally with us making us even more powerful. We could finally pass Hutcherson's Empire. They've been embezzling money from customers for years now. It makes me sick.

I turned to him panting then whispered. "We did it, Hunt."

A small smile of relief came on his face. "Yeah, we did." He said pulling me into a hug.

My phone rang, interrupting our moment so we pulled away. "Hello?"

"Mrs. Lodge, I know you're a busy woman but don't forget I am a busy man as well. Stop wasting my damn time. You women never know how to be on time."

I squeezed my eyes and bit my tongue to refrain myself from saying anything out of the way. I forgot how much I hated dealing with that misogynistic prick but it was my choice to be in a business with so many people like him.

"Yes, sir. I'm on my way." I said before hanging up.

I sighed then turned to Hunter who was now sitting at his desk, looking at his computer.

"I'll be leaving now Mr. Lodge."

He turned to me giving me a simple smile and wave. I waved back before grinning all the way to my car.

...

The meeting went by pretty fast and after that, I decided to head back to my office. When I reached, I saw the same young woman who was presenting this morning, sitting down next to the doorway. She looked extremely nervous as she was vigorously bouncing her leg over and over. Her eyes were facing the ground as she bit her nails.

I walked up a little closer. "Ms. Ralf, what are you doing here?"

She immediately jumped up from her seat as she heard my voice. "Mrs. Lodge, p-please forgive me for today's meeting. Don't make Mr. Samuel fire me for not representing him properly. I was nervous and Mr. Daniels just-"

"Hey!" I said stopping her from her continuous rant. I sent her a smile. "Relax. Don't worry about Mr. Samuel. I will talk to him for you."

She kept her gaze down as she let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you. It's just that I get nervous in front of people. Especially t-those that are at a way higher up in rank than me. I don't know how I'm going to make it here."

I just watched sadly because I was once in her shoes. I sighed because I know I'm going to regret what I do next. "Pass me your phone."

She looked at me puzzled for a second but gave me her phone. I typed in the digits then handed it back to her.

"This is my personal number. I always pick up. Don't give it to anyone. If you need help with presenting...I can help you."

Her face brightened up and a wide smile quickly came across her face. My face remained intact. I knew I was making a mistake. Now she's going to think I'm a softie.

"Really ma'am?"

I nodded. "If you don't mind, I have things to do," I said giving her a pleasant smile and walking into my office.

I sat down in my chair blowing out the air from my mouth. When I picked up my phone, I saw that it was flooded with new messages from an unknown number. I opened them, it was multiple pictures and videos of Blaze every hour.

Proof of life Miss Boss 🙄.

I rolled my eyes from the clearly sarcastic message but smiled as I looked at the pictures of my baby. One of the videos depicted him smiling his gums off as his babysitter tickled his tummy.

My smile slowly faded as I remembered how much I dislike the woman making my son smile so much.

"Jannette!"

"Yes ma'am?"

In the blink of an eye, she was there. It's almost like she was standing outside, waiting for me to call.

"I need a full oral report and hard copy resume of the head maid you hired."

"Yes ma'am." She quickly went outside then came back in.

"Moya Williams, age 27," she started while placing the resume on my desk. "graduated top of her class at Dale University and has an excellent report from her last employer."

I raised an eyebrow. "Top of her class? Then what is doing as a maid?"

"Moya aspires to be a lawyer but is having financial problems. With the income of this job, she will be able to pay for her semesters."

I stayed shocked. Moya and I were the same age yet we were not in the same positions. My heart softened for a bit as I understood her situation.

"Mrs. Lodge, I'm asking you not to fire her. I didn't hire her because she was top of her class, I hired her because she cried in the interview. I saw her pain. I know you were never in that financial position but don't forget the time your father forced you to pay off a mortgage on your own when you were only 22." she said before walking out.

...

I stood in front of the door, entering the passcode. Then it clicked and opened, I was hit with a fresh scent of Lavender. The black tiles were shine to the point where I could see my reflection. I mean, I could always see my reflection but not as vividly. A smile appeared on my face.

"Not bad for an amateur maid huh?"

I heard a very familiar voice ask. When I looked up, it was Moya with that smug smile on her face.

I ignored her question while I took off my shoes. "Where's my kid? I need proof of life."

She rolled her eyes. "Relax, he's sleeping."

I narrowed my eyes at her before walking to the nursery.

"Hello, Moya! How was your day? Did you have any problems? Aww, stop Sophia you're too kind. I'm fine thanks for asking."

I rolled my eyes for the hundredth time as her voice closely trailed behind me. We reached into the nursery and Blaze was silently sleeping, looking cute as ever. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in. I turned to Moya who was watching me with a smile.

"Nice job today, Ms. Douglas." I was genuinely pleased. I saw her smile slowly fade. I was about to fire her but remembered what Jannette said earlier.

"I'll see you tomorrow then."

Her face lit up once more.

"Wait does that mean-" She quickly hugged me. "Thank you so much, Sophia. You won't regret it."

I was going to protest about her embrace but decided to just let her have her moment.