Rumour has It

Sophia's POV

"Phew," I said wiping off the sweat from my face. I had just finished feeding Blaze and giving him a nice, warm bath. After we finished, he went straight to sleep. It amazes me how he sleeps so much but I'm not complaining.

As I walked down the stairs to head to the kitchen, I heard a loud banging on the front door. I quickly rushed and opened it.

My eyes widened then blinked to double-check if I was seeing right. There was a smiling Moya in front of me. I looked on my watch then returned my gaze to her.

"Moya, what are you doing here? You're not supposed to report until an hour from now."

Her smile only grew bigger. " I heard you like when employees are punctual so I wanted to make sure I was in your good graces."

I kept my mouth shut as I stared at her. She is hardly in my good graces.

"Sophia, are you going to let me in or what?" she asked now looking a bit irritated.

"First things first, if you're going to work for me, we have to be professional. You can't call me by my first name and I can't call you by your first name. Got it?"

She frowned a little. "But I like us calling each other by our first names."

"What's your last name?" I asked. Jannette didn't even bother to provide any sort of general information about her. All she did was confirm she hired her. I made a mental note to scold her when I get to work.

"Douglas."

I smiled a bit before making some space for her to pass. "Okay Ms. Douglas, please come in."

She smiled back before passing in. "In here is so scary Soph-I mean Mrs. Lodge."

I chuckled. "I said the same thing but the former maid told me that I'll get used to it and I did. If I keep you, you'll get used to it too."

I checked my watch. "I have to get ready for work now. If you don't 'wow' me by the time I get home, you're fired." I said coldly before walking back upstairs.

When I reached up to the room, Hunter was sitting on the bed typing away on his phone. When he noticed my presence, he looked up. "Get ready, the board called an emergency meeting."

I groaned. "Do we have to go?"

He laughed throatily before getting up and wrapping his arms around my waist. We stood right in front of the standing mirror. He was attired in a full suit, with his hair slicked back perfectly while I still had on my green, silky pajamas.

He kissed me on the cheek before releasing me. "Get ready or we'll be late."

I sighed before dragging myself to the bathroom. I quickly washed up and did my hair and makeup before putting on a green dress-suit.

I looked at myself in the mirror smiling. That jerk Hunter bought this for me a couple of weeks ago. Speaking of the devil, he peeked his head through the door frame and a smug smirk instantly popped up on his face.

I rolled my eyes before walking out and I could hear him trailing behind me. We went into Blaze's room where Hunter picked him up while I took his bag.

"How is my little angel doing?" he asked as he looked down at Blaze with a wide smile on his face. A smile appeared on my face as I shook my head.

We walked down the stairs.

"Where are we taking him?" Hunter asked behind me.

I thought for a minute. "At Lyn-"

"I can take care of him!" a loud voice shouted as both Hunter and I turned to face the person. It was Moya.

Hunter raised an eyebrow. "And who might you be?"

She stretched out her hand with a smile. "Moya Douglas sir. The new head maid."

It was now my turn to raise an eyebrow. Why is she talking to Hunter so respectfully then talks to me like trash?

"Ms. Douglas, it's quite alright," I said before moving off to the door but she jumped in front of me.

"Please. I already told and showed you how good I am with kids."

There was no doubt about it that she was great with kids. The problem was that I couldn't leave my baby with a stranger. I know nothing about her except that her name is Moya Douglas.

"Come on Sophia. You can even make one hundred guards watch over us."

"Why is she talking to you so casually? Are you two friends?" Hunter whispered into my ear.

I sighed. "Fine..."

She started to rejoice.

"But you have to call if the slightest things go wrong. I will also need an hourly update with proof of life."

Both Hunter and Moya chuckled but I was dead serious.

"Okay fine, whatever," she said as she took Blaze from Hunter's hold.

"Bye Blaze. Mommy loves you," I said before kissing Blaze with Hunter doing the same action after.

It's fine. It's only for one day. After today, I'll fire her. I comforted myself while getting into Hunter's all-black Bugatti.

I turned to him as he drove out the premises. "Is this a new car?"

He simply nodded. He was just scolding me about carbon footprint the other day and here he is on his ninth sports car.

...

"T-t-thank you all for coming to the emergency meeting."

Ayoung woman shuttered nervously as she tried to read her flashcards. Sweat was trickling down her face. I haven't seen her before so she must be new.

Nine of us sat in the conference room at Lodge Enterprises patiently listening to the nervous woman speak.

"I-I w-will be filling in for Mr...Mr. Samuel today."

The treasurer, Mr. Daniels rolled his eyes before standing up. "Ms. Ralf, let me take over. I'm sure the CEOs have very busy schedules today as well as the other board members."

She looked over to Hunter and I with tears in her eyes. I sent her a sympathetic smile before she sent one back and returned to her seat.

I did have to get to another meeting in forty minutes but Mr. Daniels was a bit harsh. I was also like that when I was new to presenting. I remember in college, I was so bad that the whole class laughed at me, including my professor.

I wish I could say that I used that embarrassment and turned it into improving but I didn't. It only got worse. However, I did overcome it at a later date for a completely different reason.

Mr. Daniels cleared his throat as he looked at the flashcards. "I will keep it short. Mr. Samuel has gotten wind that our company will be ranked number one in companies worldwide in the next company review!"

I froze in my seat before looking over at Hunter who's eyes were wide open. I smiled and wanted to hug him but I couldn't.

"Mr. Samuel has asked us to keep it a secret until it is released to the public since he could get into serious trouble for knowing."

We all nodded. I looked at my watch before standing up.

"Even though Mr. Samuel is absent, I would like to thank him. Let's not celebrate just yet until this rumor is confirmed. If that's it for the meeting, let's end it here." I said and everyone nodded in agreement.