BEST FRIEND

summary: two best friends finally
admit their feelings for each other
in a rather unusual way

pronouns: she/her
requested by: itzliv09

a/n: i am so sorry i took forever to
post this. i had some MAJOR writers
block. i hope you enjoy <3

p.s: i made it so that madrigal's
birthday and gift ceremonies are
on separate days

nobody's pov

exactly 10 years and 1 day ago, five-year-old camilo and y/n declared their friendship. it all began the day of mirabel's gift ceremony when even the grown-ups couldn't explain what went wrong. the little ones had no choice but to seek answers from one another, and in camilo and y/n's case, they chose each other.

they snuck away and safely climbed onto casita's roof. the pair spent the rest of the night asking questions and comforting one another, especially camilo. he worried that he drained the magic and that's why his cousin didn't get any. he worried that mirabel would be reminded of her loss when she saw him use his gift. he felt terrible.

you comforted camilo and reassured him that it wasn't his fault. you even tried to cheer him up by telling him a bad knock-knock joke. and though he didn't find it very funny, he laughed anyway because he liked the way you smiled and your face lit up.

it wasn't often someone put in the same effort to make him smile, as the way he did for others. y/n was different though. and the moment he realized this, was the moment he knew you were meant to be his best friend.

so on that hectic night, you both agreed to come to each other whenever you need to let something out or simply needed a friend. every year after that you both celebrated this day.

10 years later, you and camilo looked forward to the day just as much as you did so long ago. though some mutual feelings may have developed along the way...

camilos pov

"camilo, help your sister with carrying things out," papi yelled, as one of antonio's animals continued to chase him around.

i sighed and went to the kitchen where my tia julietta was handing dolores plates to bring outside for breakfast. i took a couple and walked with dolores. she was being oddly silent, but she snapped in a matter of seconds.

"are you going to tell her today?" she blurted and turned to me with a wide grin. i accidentally shifted into y/n just as the sudden question. dolores raised her eyebrow and looked at me, pleased with the reaction. "aw, cami-" she gushed.

i shifted back to myself and rushed to the table so she wouldn't see the red on my face.

i could still hear the sound of dolores laughing quietly behind me, but then another laugh joined in, isabela. i should have known she would tell the first person she saw. pull it together camilo, y/n will be here soon.

abuela told us to start filling our plates, so to take my mind off of dolores and isabella, i did 'my thing'.

nobody's pov

you arrived moments later and were welcomed by the family. this included a rainbow from pepa, a tight and quick hug from luisa, and a first bump from antonio. though you didn't see camilo, you spotted dolores, isabela, and mirabel filling their plates.

"hey guys," you gave the girls a smile, but it was unmatched to dolores and isabela's grins. mirabel however was suddenly quiet and grabbing food quickly. isabela looked at her confused, but dolores had a strange feeling. she could have sworn that mirabels heartbeat increased two times faster, but she decided to not think much of it.

"hey y/n," isabela broke the silence and returned the smile. "have you seen camilo?" you asked.

the cousins shared a glare, with a shared idea forming in their minds, "no, but i'm sure he'll come around soon."

you stood beside dolores and began filling your plate as well.

"so.. y/n.. are you going to tell him today?" isabela asked and raised her eyebrow at you. mirabel and dolores looked up, one intrigued and one concerned.

"um.." you gulped. you knew exactly what she meant and it threw you into panic mode, "t-tell.. who what?"

"ten years of friendship," she gushed and carried on with her point, "it's the perfect day to! or at least admit to liking him."

"yes y/n/n!" dolores agreed, "come on, it's just us girls! right mirabel?" she gently butt her cousin by the hip and waited for a agreement.

"what— oh, um y-yeah!" mirabel nodded frantically and looked at you nervously.

"i don't know what your talking about," you lied and looked away from the three girls.

"please," dolores grabbed your hands and gave you a pouty face. isabela leaned in intrigued and mirabel widened her eyes at the sincere words about to come out of dolores' mouth, "he really likes you y/n, and i don't know if i can go on another day seeing you two blush at each other but never confessing."

you pondered her words and considered how carefully you should answer. the answer was yes, of course,
but dolores wasn't exactly great at keeping secrets. but what if what she just said about camilo is true..

you looked around to make sure no one but the three would hear you, "ok, fine..." you sigh and nervously continued, "maybe i do have feelings fo-"

dolores pulled you into a hug immediately and isabela unintentionally blossomed flowers at the adorable sight.

mirabel, however, noisily dropped her plate and grabbed the attention of everyone. dolores let you go and you both looked at mirabel in confusion. dolores realized, but you didn't. camilo.

'mirabel' excused herself and the family went back to normal. she made her way into the casita and shifted back to the normal camilo madrigal. he still felt butterflies in his stomach from your words, but he panicked at the same time. he didn't know what to do.

when the family was ready to begin breakfast, dolores eventually found her little brother getting your favorite color flowers from isabela's room.

she smiled from afar and thought to herself happily, it's finally happening.

once again, i had really bad writers
block and i am so sorry for taking so
long to update.
i'm honestly not very proud of this version
and the end was very rushed but i hope
that you maybe liked it :)

i promise my next update
will be better <3

ty for reading!

published: jan 21