Chapter 25

The sky melts from molten orange to cotton candy pink as the sun illuminates the forest more. We attempted to reach home before Dawn, but transporting a still unconscious Delilah proved to be tricker than I initially thought. Thankfully once we reached the halfway point a small group of our warriors were waiting to assist us the rest of the way.

"Brooks is waiting in the pack house with Cora." Jasper leans down whispering in my ear, his words cause joy to bloom in my chest. Being away from Cora was hell, and everyday I caught myself from wanting to find her to ask for advice or just a comforting presence. "Genevieve will meat Mom at the hospital with Delilah." We both look over our shoulders sneaking a peak at a battered Delilah being carried on a small stretcher. Her severe injuries cleared up just enough that we could bring her home, but she's still in a very fragile state and will be in the hospital for at least a week.

"Do you have the phones Troy gave us?" I pretend to almost trip over a stick, so I have to look at the ground as I mind link Jasper. Being so secretive around our pack members is causing my stomach to churn with unease, but I keep reminding myself that it's for their benefit and safety.

"There in my bag." The phones can't be traced, which will be important when we reconvene in a day or two. Time is of the essence, and with Raven pushing forward in her attacks one right after the other we'll need a safe way to communicate with one another. Mom pressed how important it is that we keep calls short and if there is an emergency to just hold the 6 button down. Apparently Emeric installed a program that will send SOS alert to the rest of the family on all the devices.

"I don't want you to freak out, but Cora is acting strange. She's sick or something." Brooks's panicked voices filter through our private link. "She won't say anything, but her heart is pounding, she's sweating pretty bad, and can't hold still." His tone slowly evens out composing himself probably more for my sake than his, but there's still a frantic edge to it.

"We just crossed the border. Does she want to see the doctor?" Jasper keeps his face neutral, a few warriors sending excited grins our way as we pass. I contradict my warm smile in return by squeezing Jasper's hand tight enough to cut off his circulation. My heart hammers rapidly against my rib cage echoing loudly in my ears. What's wrong with Cora?

"Tell me what's going on! Are you sick? Hurt?" I link Cora, steadying my voice even though my rapid fire questions clue in to how I'm truly reeling at her sudden decline. It's crucial I don't let in just how terrified I am because it'll just exasperate her ailment.

"I'm scared, Victoria!" Her choked sob resonates through the link shattering all restraint keeping me composed. "It's so loud I can't hear Brooks anymore." She manages out between cries and gasps for air. "My heart is pounding in my ears." I stop dead in my tracks, jerking Jasper back to me. He steps in front of me shielding my face from everyone else. "Ow! My stomach.... It burns." She spits through clenched teeth.

"Guys she going to pass out!" Brooks shouts.

"Brooks get her to the hospital now!" I roar, stealing a glance at Delilah over my shoulder. Jasper's worried gaze follow my own, and his tense muscles relax under my hands. "Cora breath as deep as you can. I promise you are going to be okay." I slip out of Jasper's hold, walking over to Violet.

"Does Delilah have a mate?" I slide my bag off my shoulder and hand it to her. She furrows her eyebrows, eyes scanning my face for any clues to why I'm asking this.

"No, why?" Her gaze flickers to Jasper, who steps up behind me his own concern washing over our bond.

"Are you sure?" His agitated tone slicing the last shred of lightheartedness in our conversation. Violet's visibly goes on defense taking a step back, and I don't miss the flare of  outrage flash through her dark eyes.