Chapter 7

I step out of the shower wrapping the soft white towel around my body, and make my way back into my new room. I'm not totally unpacked yet, but at least all of my clothes are hung up in the closet. The same can't be said for Cora, who immediately fell asleep as soon as we got here late into the night.

Last night after dinner Cora and I left with Jasper to move into his pack. Saying goodbye to my family was the hardest even though they won't be very far and I can visit whenever I want. My parents took the news surprisingly well, but I have a feeling they knew all along that it was going to get to this point. Troy was quiet all throughout dinner until Jasper reassured my whole family that they are welcome anytime. Emeric took it the hardest out of everyone. He wasn't his usual goofy self, and when I went to give him a hug I saw the tears swimming in his eyes.

"Promise to call everyday." He whispered in my ear just before I pulled away. The tightening in my chest forced me to agree without a second thought. Emeric has been as close as a sibling to me and Troy since we were born, so for one of us to be leaving it's rocked our whole dynamic. I know it's the right choice, but that doesn't make the pain lessen in the slightest.

Hearing noise coming from the kitchen, I get dressed in a plain shirt and shorts and make my way out of my bedroom. The house Jasper assigned to Cora and I is big for just two bedrooms. The kitchen and livingroom have an open concept, and the hallway off the kitchen leads to our bedrooms which each have there own bathroom. It's nicer than what I was expecting considering he didn't have much notice of us moving in, but Cora and I would have accepted anything they had.

"Cora did you find...." I look up finding an older woman standing in front of our fridge instead of Cora. She has longer grey hair falling down her back, but the open fridge door blocks my view of her face. The faded blue overalls she's wearing contrast the white button up blouse underneath.

"You must be Victoria." Her smile is wide deepening the slight wrinkles around her caramel brown eyes. "I'm Genevieve." She holds her hand out, which I shake hesitantly. My face must give away how confused and freaked out I am because her eyes widen in realization. "I'm sorry, Jasper asked me to bring over some groceries." She points behind her. Sitting on the kitchen table are bags full of different foods.

"Sorry, you just startled me." Jasper wouldn't have asked her to come over if he didn't trust her. Plus she appears to be a very nice person, and I'm not in the place to be making enemies on my first day here. "Let me help." I insist walking to the table and unloading some of the food. I'll have to thank Jasper later because I totally forgot about getting the kitchen stocked. "Thank you for doing this." She took the time out of her day to help someone she didn't even know, and to me that means a lot.

"Of course. To be completely honest I was rather eager to meet you. After hearing Jasper go on for year about how beautiful you are I got me curious." The blood rushes to my cheeks learning that he's called me beautiful. It sounds so juvenile, but the compliment leaves me feeling all mushy. "You have your mother's eyes." Genevieve adds scanning my face, her eyebrows furrowed slightly in thought.

"You've met my mother?" I'm not sure which aspect of her statement catches me off guard more. My mom has grey eyes with a hint of light green, but I inherited my father emerald eyes except for the thinnest ring of grey around my irises that is only visible in sunlight. On the other hand Jasper's pack keeps to themselves, so I don't understand how Genevieve has met my mom. Was she apart of our pack in the past?

"Only once after the revolution. Her and your father were very generous to us for housing those who couldn't fight." I feel like an idiot for forgetting about yet another prime example of a situation where Jasper's pack has helped others when they didn't have to. "I can see your confusion. I didn't mean her eye color, but the strength she possesses has clearly been passed onto you. It's a trait I can read in your gaze." She smiles, and I just now notice the scar running from her chin down the side of her neck.