Chapter 28

The cool breeze blows in through the open kitchen window, Opal's carefree laughter bouncing off the trees surrounding the house. All three sisters are playing in the front yard while I clean the mess I made making lunch for us. Today has gone a lot smoother than yesterday, so hearing their joy and seeing their smile actually reach their eyes is a very welcomed breath of fresh air.

I place the clean plates back into the cupboard careful to not mess up the system the girls have decided on. Genevieve and I spent most of yesterday helping them make the place a little more personal. We brought over different plants, paint, pillows, blankets, and toys for Opal. Lilith and Cleo were hesitant to open up, the both of them more focused on making sure Opal was happy and comfortable. The young girl was over the moon with decorating her room, but I couldn't hide the heartbreak from seeing just how much the girls had been through. None of them have had their own house let alone their own room.

Cleo and Lilith smiled throughout the day for Opal's benefit, but their eyes still held so much unresolved fear and pain. I had to excuse myself a few times to calm down after Opal would divulge more information than the other women would've liked about their life under Raven's control. My heart didn't just ache for the three innocent sisters who survived such unimaginable horrors, but also for the rest of those who weren't lucky enough to be saved. Those who still tremble under Raven's hand too isolated to understand we're out here willing to help them as well.

Eventually by the time the sun set behind the horizon each one the sisters had a room that reflected who they were, and even Cleo and Lilith had opened up just a little. The both of them are vastly different from each other yet their love entwines them together. They remind me of sunrise and sunset, different and at the same time nearly identical. However not in looks, which is a topic no one has dared to comment on, and one I'm sure the three aren't keen to discussing. They are sisters, not by blood, but by something much deeper and profound, a love that is born from death and dispare yet it'll outlast this life into the next. Three souls bounded for eternity.

"I found you!" The soapy plate nearly slips from my hands, Opal's gleeful proclamation startling me out of my thoughts. Cleo's exaggerated groan soon follows. Hide and seek outside won't last too long due to the limited hiding spots, so I pick up my pace since Opal will no doubt be inside soon to begin her next adventure for the day.

I finish putting the dishes in the cupboard before heading to the living room and plopping down on the couch. Cleo's books litter the end table, and one catches my eye. I lean over snatching it and take note of the title, but my eyes struggle to scan the back. The words blur together a basic description of a witch, with hidden powers trapped, by the ruthless king. My eyelids grow heavy and I squeeze them shut  pushing past my exhaustion. The words are jumbled. Captive, extravagant balls, mate, and all of the sudden nothing as the room around me faded.

                             *         *         *

I gasp jumping to my feet, and slip on the blanket that falls from my shoulders. Markers, paper, and Opals drawings scatter around the dimly lit living room as I catch myself on the coffee table. The blurring ringtone coming from my phone continues to echo across the small space, yet sleep still swarms my mind. I toss some pillows off the couch until I spot the bright screen displaying Troy's name. Blinking rapidly to try an expel the exhaustion weighing down my heavy lids.

"Hello?" I spin around, noticing the low moonlight peering in through the open curtains. Shit! The sisters must have put the blanket on me and went to bed.

Jogging down the hallway, I open Opal's door only to find the room empty. She must be in Cleo or Lilith's room.

"Victoria! Where's Lilith?!" My dads worried tone filters through the phone reminding of the device pressed against my ear. This is all so overwhelming. Why did I fall asleep?