Chapter 2

"Victoria." I faintly make out someone yelling my name in my groggy half asleep state. Lifting my head off the cushion of Emeric's couch, I catch a glimpse of him heading to the door. Glancing out the window across the room, the sky is pitch black signaling the late hour. I must have fallen asleep after dinner.

"Where is she?" My mothers worried tone has my chest squeezing with guilt. Not for getting myself stuck in the situation with that rogue because I would have rather it been me than someone else in the pack, but I feel bad that my parents have had to travel all the way home knowing I had been hurt. "Oh sweetheart." My mother rushes in as I stand up from the couch pushing the blanket off of me.

"I'm okay, I promise." She drops her bag pulling me into a tight hug. Looking over her shoulder to where my dad and brother are waiting behind her, I send Troy a small smile and wave.

"If you were okay you wouldn't have this." My dad points to the bright neon green cast holding my broken wrist bones in place. Troy eyes it with excitement before whining like a child.

"I wanted to be the first one to sign it." He huffs earning a smack upside the head by our dad. Chucking I step out of my moms hug with only a second to recover before my dad is pulling me into an equally suffocating hug.

"Well Cora beat you to it." I stick my tongue out at him, and when neither of our parents are looking he flips me of with a sarcastic smile. "She is quite creative." I turn my arm showing him the bottom of my cast where Cora wrote, "Troy is a dickhead". Mom snickers covering her mouth to try and hide her laughter failing miserably.

"To be fair she didn't let me sign it until you could." Emeric speaks up from the corner of the room with a michivous glint one his eye.

"Aw you do love me Vic." Troy makes kissing noises while heading right for me. Due to his giant ass height he towers over me leaving me stuck in his hug. "Admit it you love me." He sighs dramatically, but it quickly changes to a hiss as I elbow him in the gut. "Shit! No wonder you beat that rogue." His words suck all the happiness out of the room, and just like that everyone is tense again.

"Way to go." I punch him in the arm nodding towards Emeric. "It's his job to say stupid shit." Emeric places a hand on his chest feigning hurt.

"It's true." Melody walks out from the hallway leading to their bedrooms kissing Emeric on the cheek before pulling Della into a quick hug. "Where's Tessa and Quentin?" Her questions reminds me that Emeric did say the whole family was coming back from the meeting early.

"She was feeling sick, so they got a bit of a late start." My stomach swirls with concern for my older cousin. She isn't one to let much stop her from doing what she wants, so she must have been pretty ill.

"Is she okay?" Mom smiles brushing a stray hair out of my face.

"It's just a stomach bug." I let out a sigh of relief. The last thing this family needs is the extra stress added to the cluster fuck that was today.

"How long does the cast need to stay on?" Troy come back from the kitchen carrying a glass of water.

"Only a couple of days." I eye my dad and Emeric talking in hushed whispers out of the corner of my eye. It stirs the same unease as when I saw the look in Emeric's eye when he saw who saved me.

I have yet to find out exactly who that man is. From the moment I stepped foot in the pack house it's been one thing after another. First I had to calm Cora down reassuring her that it was most likely an isolated incident, and promise to never knowingly put myself in danger like that again. She stayed while the doctor came and confirmed that my wrist was indeed broken, but other than that I was okay. Thankfully the cast only has to stay on a few days, which is a relief because I don't know how long I can last staring at this fluorescent green monstrosity. It clearly wasn't my first pick but it's Cora's favorite color, and it made her smile so it was worth it.