Seventeen: Wave day

Lily

Opening the kitchen cabinet, I tried to remain silent as Muffin was still sleeping like an old man, despite it already being nine in the morning.

I search the cabinet for breakfast but stop, seeing bread and peanut butter. I grin and check the fridge and when I see jelly, I become suspicious. Muffin doesn't like peanut-butter-jelly-sandwiches. I know that because every time I try to offer him some of mine, he gives me a nasty scowl.

I pick up the bread, jelly, and peanut butter before running to his bedroom. I hop on the bed and lean on his shoulder. "Muffin."

"What?" He grumbles, his voice deeper than usual, making my insides tingle and my cheeks brighten lightly.

"Why is there bread, peanut butter and jelly in your cabinet if you don't like any of them?"

He wraps the blanket over his face. "Because I got them for you. Now let me go back to sleep, weirdo."

For me? He thought of me?

I smile happily and wrap my arms around him, "Oh, sugar! You done gone along and got soft on me!" I press kisses all over his cheek and neck as he tries to get out of my hold.

He grumbles something underneath his breath and takes his head from under the blanket, staring at me with a scowl as I stare back happily.

"I'm going back to sleep." He says, but only stares at my lips.

"No can do, Mister. We've got a beach to go to." I reply and give him a short kiss

Theo kisses me back and begins sitting up. "What are you talking about? I'm not going anywhere today."

I get off of him and smile in excitement. "Today is wave day!"

"Wow. Incredible explanation. I can really understand what you're talking about now, thanks."

I hit his arm lightly, "Shush, I'm not finished." Hopping off of the bed, I grab my sandals from out of his closet and turn them over.

He stares at the beach wave on the back of my sandal in confusion. "What the f-"

"On this day, every year, Diddy and I would go and watch the waves. A few years ago, he put this wave on my shoe as a birthday gift. He told me you're only supposed to bring special people to the beach on wave day."

When he doesn't immediately respond, my face falls and I remember there's a possibility, he doesn't want to go.

I hold his hand. "If you don't want to go, that's fine too, dear. I understand. After a-"

Theo rests his finger underneath my chin. "Give me forty-five minutes."

I smile and clap happily as he gets off of the bed. "Oh, thank you, thank you! Muffin, I tell you. My heart sank so fast when I thought you were going to say no."

I hold my chest, following behind him into the kitchen. He starts to make coffee as I inform him of all the fun Diddy and I used to have on wave day. Once I check the time and see it is already nine-thirty, I decide its time to get ready.

I choose a pretty long, light blue sundress that covers my legs all the way down to my ankles, thankfully. I wear a white long-sleeve shirt underneath to hide my arms. After braiding my hair into one long braid and putting my sandals on, I walk inside of the gym-room where Theo is running on my new fear. Some know it as a treadmill. But Lily Hernandez knows it as, 'silent murder.'

I lean on the wall and fan myself as sweat drips from his muscular back. "Goodness gracious, it is mighty hot in here!" I shout. I noticed I shouted often. A lot of people didn't like it and I feel awful about making someone upset, but I don't mean it. I just like to be heard.