Twenty Four: Good Girl

Lily

Muffin appears behind me as I open the bacon package. He wraps his arm around my waist and hugs me from behind.

"Lily." He whispers

"Yes, sugar?"

"When are you coming to bed?"

I smile, "In a minute."

He kisses my cheek. "What are you making?"

"Bacon and eggs."

I put a slice of bacon in the pan and as I am about to get another one, the hot oil pops up and hits my arm. Theo moves me over and holds his fist out in front of it.

"Stay back." He grumbles, glaring at the oil as I rub my arm.

I frown and point at the bacon. "Muffin, the bacon was trying to kill me!"

"Babe, I've been telling you, you cannot trust bacon."

I nod, "Well now I know."

Theo leans closer to the bacon, "If you touch my girl again, I'll burn you." He looks up, smiling proudly. "See what I did there?"

I laugh, "Yes I did. Your jokes are getting better-"

Another piece of bacon sizzles, making hot oil go to Muffin's face. "Oh, my goodness!"

"Fuck." He grumbles, holding his eye and backing up.

"Are you all right, dea-"

I scream when he bumps into the couch. He falls over it and lands in front of it with a thud. I rush to him and kneel. "Muffin, are you all right?" I ask, holding his face.

His eyes remain closed and he doesn't move a muscle. I lay my head on his heart and when I don't hear it pumping, I grow scared. "Theo?"

I shake him countless times, but he remains the same. Tears start to form in my eyes and I lie my head back on his chest. "Muffin, I'm sorry." I whisper, a tear falling down my face.

"Sike!" Theo sits up abruptly and I back up in shock. His smile drops at my expression. "Wait, are you crying?"

I hit his arm and stand up angrily. "That's not funny!" I say, walking to our bedroom and wiping my eyes.

I hear him laugh behind me, "I actually got you, didn't I?"

For a month now, Muffin has been trying to get me back for my prank on him at the hospital. Up until now, I hadn't fallen for any of them.

I go to the closet to change into my nightgown as he walks inside the room. I remove my dress as he steps inside the closet. "Li-" his eyes travel down my face and body. "How do you manage to get prettier every day?"

I look up and smile widely. Butterflies form in my stomach and my cheeks brighten. "Do you mean that, or are you just trying to make me forgive you?"

He steps closer and wraps his arm around my waist. He presses his forehead against mine. "You don't understand how eager I am to wake up to your face. Lily, you are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my goddamn life and everyday I'm thankful to call you mine."

My heart flutters, my smile grows wider, and I'm sure my face is as pink as Aunt Lou's steak. I stand on my tippy toes and kiss him. He takes control, holding my face in his hands. My legs start to grow weak and, as if sensing it, Muffin lifts me up, wrapping my legs around his waist. He turns me around and lays me on the bed.

He breaks out of the kiss and runs his hand through his hair. I bite my lip as I stare up at him. He stares back at me with a glare. "Fuck. Lily, don't look at me like that."