The captaincy (RohiRat)

"MR. VIRAT PREM KOHLI, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOURSELF?!"

"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT, VIRAT?"

"HOW COULD YOU NOT INFORM US, VIRAT BHAIYA?"

Virat looked at the two dark faces who entered his room in a fit of rage. Second being Rahul obviously and third was Jassi, a little surprising for Virat.

As no matter what, Jassi never shouted at Virat Bhaiya.

That thought scared Virat a little.

First was basically Rohit whose phone calls Virat had been avoiding for whole day waiting for the right time to tell him that even though his best friend had given up captaincy without even informing him or anyone else but it was okay as it was the right time according to him.

Rahul, being sensible enough to think he had read the tweet wrong (after reading it for 9th time) and Virat couldn't have not informed them, had called up Rohit only to hear him shouting 'WHERE THE HELL IS THAT IDIOT?' from the other end.

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, VIRAT KOHLI?" Rohit asked menacingly. "YOU DON'T THINK IT'S IMPORTANT TO TELL ANYONE BEFORE TAKING SUCH—such—stupid decisions?"

"Ro, listen" Virat tried, taking the phone from Rahul's hands.

"JUST SHUT UP AND YOU LISTEN. What were you thinking while you took that decision? You're the best test captain India ever had! You think you're becoming oh so great Virat Kohli by giving up on captaincy?"

Rahul and Jassi exchanged a look.

"Ha! You think you giving up on captaincy will make things any better? The new captain—whosoever—will win every match for India? That's what you think? What if we keep losing even after this, Virat? What will you do?" Rohit asked furiously.

"Ro, please, not you too!"

"Then you will retire, eh, Virat?" Rohit spoke after a moment of silence. "Because no matter who the captain is, those people will always turn on you. People will always turn to Virat Kohli. Then what will you do, Virat? Oh yes, then one day we will open our phones and get an official mail that Virat Kohli has retired, eh?"

Now that stung!

Virat felt his chest getting heavier and heavier untill he could say his heart had sank down right there.

Rohit didn't have even one ounce of regret of saying all the harsh things coming to his mind straight away to Virat instead of saying 'You did great and I'm proud of you' at this moment when he had decided to step down from his captaincy. He didn't regret at all. Virat deserves this. He firmly told himself.

It hurt that Virat didn't tell him. It hurt that something had been terribly wrong with Virat that pushed him to take this decision and he wasn't there for him.

"It's the best decision for team!" Virat mumbled looking down.

"Team? Did you say team, Virat? Okay, so this was for the team?" Rohit said mockingly. "Then you must have consulted everyone in the team before stepping down, right?"

Virat clenched his fist as he knew he didn't have any answer.

"Did you ask us, Virat? Did you even care to tell us? Did he tell you, Rahuliya, say?" Rohit said.

Virat looked at Rahul.

"Why would he? Who am I, after all?" Rahul said accusingly before walking out from there.

"Rahuliya, listen to me—" Virat shouted behind Rahul who had walked off as fast as he could.

"Did he tell you, Jass?"