l

(AKA; "But lately I've been feeling strange..")
Will Byers had never been exactly 'normal.' And not only because of his, near death, encounter with a, supposed to be, mystical-fictional-NOT REAL creature.
He was abnormal because of the way Stanley's curled red hair caught his attention back in first grade. He was abnormal because of his lingering gaze toward the denim toned eyes of Nate Tillman in fourth grade. He was abnormal because every time Mike said his name, his heart gave a flutter. And everytime his best friend hugged him he wanted to lean in and just melt there forever.
He was abnormal because he was strangely, and horrifically, in love with Mike Wheeler.
And there was nothing to do but watch as that wide eyed, crow-locked boy fell for a girl he met in a forest the single week Will was missing.
One week and all of his dreams of waking up besides the boy, snuggled into him and running his small fingers through that beautiful, fluffy hair became impossible.
They became less realistic than a Demogorgon.
So Will just clung onto some childlike fantasies. A fourteen year old clasping and scrambling to get a hold of something he knew could never happen.
But now Will was biking to Starcourt Mall. To the theaters, and he was excited.
El wouldn't be there and Mike would. El wouldn't be there. It was such a rare detail, but knowing it made the boy flutter in joy. Something he guiltily felt. Eleven Hopper was such a nice person, but she unintentionally made Will's blood boil. Jealousy. She was perfect, too perfect. He could never compete when the girl with that wavy cocoa hair, just curled to a point of perfection. Those worn leather eyes that mirrored a troubled doe. A lost fawn who was.. oddly obsessed with waffles.
He swallowed deeply. The bike pulled to a closing stop, a quiet squeak as the tires scratched along the pavement. Will immediately saw Lucas and Max, another couple and members of their party. Unlike Mike and El, their relationship didn't disgust Will. He found it cute, fighting like kids. Which they were.. but nobody seemed to get that but him. It was refreshing. They weren't nearly as handsy as his best friend and his girlfriend were. Will gagged at the thought.
"Will! My dude!" Max grinned when the smaller guy walked over to the couple. The ember haired girl high-fived him and smirked.
"Hey Zoomer!" Will said in response. He was the last person that still used those nicknames.. not that it bothered him. It totally didn't. At all.
Lucas's eyes fell to his watch, his eyes rolled when he read the time.
"Mike's late. Again."
And Will was not surprised. It has been like this ever since the start of summer break. Whenever Mike wasn't bragging about El to his friends, he was busy sucking her face, much to Will and Jim Hopper's annoyance.
"When is he not late, Lucas." Max put her hands on her hips, glaring at her boyfriends clock.
"It sucks." The Byers boy groaned.
"C'mon, they're in love, we can't say it's not even a little bit cute." The girl shrugged with a weak smile played on her lips.
"It's not cute." Lucas and Will immediately responded. Not an ounce of hesitation.
At this rate, the trio knew the movie would start without their fourth member. And Will's hopeful eyes continued anxiously scanning the clock until a bike
swerved in from the street. Fluffy hair and all, Mike had finally shown up. Taking one glance over his best friends features, all hope drained from his face. His chapped lips were swollen and puffy, hair a mess and a light layer of blush sprawled across his freckles cheeks.
"You're late." Lucas frowned.
And Mike barely even muttered a quick 'Sorry', simply locking his bike up.
"Again." Max's boyfriend pressed onward. And Will just sighed, not wanting to meet that kissed-out idiots warm eyes.
"We're going to miss the opening." Was all the bowl-cut wearing boy could say as he approached Mike.
"Yeah, if you keep whining about it, let's go!" The tallest one gestured to the mall entrance which was crammed full of people.
"'iF yoU GuYs KeEp wHinIng aBout It.'" Lucas mocked, and rightfully so. Will simply smiled that his other friend agreed with him, even if it was such a simple sentence. He needed some support. And not from his brother or his mom.. please not from his mom.
"Just please stop talking, dude." Wheeler sighed, keeping up the fast pace at which he was walking.
"Yeah, let me guess. You were busy." Will and Max naturally feel behind their friends, and the girl warmly smiled at him. With a quick grin in return, he tuned back into the conversation. Lucas was funnily making kissy sounds as they walked.
"Yeah real mature, Lucas."
"Oh El, I wish we could make out forever and ever and never hang out with any of our friends." The other joked, wrapping his arms around himself.
Max chimed with with an annoyed, "Lucas, stop."
Will laughed to himself. Getting some sort of satisfaction with the tormenting of his neglecting best friend. The joking was rightfully earned on Mike's part, he had barely spent any time with the party in a week. To busy snogging in El's room.
"Will thinks it's funny!" Lucas said in defense. Hands in the air and a smirk on his lips.
"That's cause it is."
"Yeah it's so funny that I want to spend romantic time with my girlfriend." Mike said in irritation, yet still smiling slightly. Will wished the lanky boy would spend 'romantic time' with him. He'd never admit that aloud though.
"I'm spending romantic time with my girlfriend!"
Will tried to stay in full attention as the others passed through their conversation, but blush splattered over his cheeks when he began to picture being held in Mikes arms. But he tried to block out the thought. He really did, it was just too hard when the boy in front of him was just so stunning.
And he knew that that 'stunning' guy would never be his.
***
Words- 1038
Motivation credits to bylerloml