Start Up

"Izuku?"

"Yes, mom?" Izuku asked while looking up from his meal, staring at the woman sitting on the opposite end of the table.

His mother glanced down and twiddled her thumbs together. The years of stress eating had made her gain some weight and lost her old figure. A worried expression decorated her face, something he had seen every day since he received the news of becoming Quirkless.

"How long have you been hiding you were a working as a Hero?" She asked.

Hands paused and mouth ajar, the pickle clenched in-between the chopsticks mere inches away from him. What she said surprises him as he never told her. Now that he think about it, he did caught her snooping around his room two weeks ago. She must have found out through that.

"I'm a Provisional Hero. Temporary. I have to clear several more Dungeons and solve several cases before I can take part in the Hero final exams. If I pass the finals, then I can finally be a Hero." He paused briefly before continuing. "Y'know, I'm surprised you found out about this. Aren't you gonna stop me before I hurt myself or worse?"

"Don't you sass at me young man," She barked but frowned when he shot her a skeptical look; raised eyebrow but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Oh, much as she loathes it, he was right. Did she provide a word of comfort when they found out the bitter truth? No. All she did was ignore it, acting like it never existed.

"I just want to talk to you about the whole Hero business."

"You want to talk about that? I thought you hated it?" His words caused her to fidget nervously and she offered a weak smile.

"Yes well, since you have-Awakened was it? I think I want to give my input."

Izuku stared at her in silence, face blank. Despite that, a torrent of emotions swirled within.  Taking a deep breath he pushed them down and forced a weak smile.

"Sure mom," he spoke. "But can we do this later? I have work to do now. Don't stay up now "

Inko tried to say something but was unable to do so as her son immediately gotten up. Just as she managed to get the first word out, he had already left through the door. Leaving the poor single mother by herself.

Linebreak

'Was I a jerk back there?'

Izuku Midoriya wondered as he walked down the streets of Musutafu, pulling the fabrics of his clothes around him to preserve his body's warmth. Secretly, he chided himself acting so...dismissive towards her Was it wrong of him? Selfish perhaps? Does it even sound rude of him to speak like that?

Probably. He'll have to go back to make amends later if possible. He shouldn't have done that. But it has been ages ever since he was diagnosed Quirkless. And when she found out he had Awakened, she acted as if everything she had done in the past doesn't exist. As if she was....relieved. Talking about his career as a hero-in-training.

It doesn't sit right. Especially when he looked at her in the eye. Those pitiful and melancholic looks. He wanted to leave her behind but doesn't have the heart to do it. It just doesn't sit right with him. Even after all the crap he'd gone through, she was still the few that cared for him.

"Mmm, maybe I should've not worn my hero outfit." He thought, wrapping the clothing's fabric around him tighter. The tracksuit he wore was meant for efficiency, not preserving bodily heat. Sometimes he wondered why he didn't inherit either of his parent's Quirk. If he had one of his own, perhaps trips to Dungeon wouldn't be so hard after all. Nor does he have to try to maintain nor replace weapons at a fixed interval! Finding good service is rather difficult for someone of his financial debacle.