Ascend

"How many died?"

Izuku felt sick asking that but he needed to know the answer. He felt responsible since they were relying on him for an answer. It was his words and his actions that caused the waters to pour in. All of them were better and far more powerful than he and yet, they died. All the blame lies on him, not Kacchan nor Intelli-san. Intelli-san had even warned him of the very real danger of taking that tablet but he still went and did it anyway.

If he could, he would go there and try to pull them out. However, he is unable to even leave this throne and had to rely on Kacchan for help. It doesn't help by the time his friend saved Daigo who was the final person he could get his hands on, the water level had already risen to the fullest which forced him to get out.

It felt surreal, to say the least. A moment ago, those people were well and alive but now they're at bottom of that huge mass of black sludge. It doesn't take a genius to tell what had happened.

<About half of our party is wiped out. I only managed to save four of our teammates Barring you and me, that makes it six.> Izuku numbly nodded. More than half had died in an instant. On the screen, he saw their leader, Ken and his pudgy friend named Hoshi, both of them were leaning against the wall looking worse for wear. Intelli-san was busy tending to Daigo's wound, the tablet holder.

"Why didn't you save them?" Izuku's question earned a scoff from Kacchan.

<Why don't you?> 

"B-but you could've at least gone faster."Izuku weakly replied and in turn, Kacchan snorted.

<Go what? Faster?> A laughter escaped Kacchan. <That black gunk that covered me was sapping my energy, making me weaker with every moment. It doesn't help the damn thing seems to rose quicker with every passing seconds. Some of them...> The fact Katsuki paused baffled him. As if he couldn't even believe the words coming out of his mouth. <Couldn't held on and fell deep into the black sludge. Much as I hate to say it, I gotta prioritize who to save and who shouldn't>

His words rendered Izuku shut. For the first time, Kacchan isn't yelling nor screaming. He spoke in a level-headed tone, emotions restrained. 

And yet, Izuku still felt the compulsion to reject Kacchan's words. Maybe he could've gone faster. Maybe he could've used his Quirk to blow some of those gunk out of the way. But then again, where would those substance go? 

Forget it. A quirkless nobody like him don't have any right to criticize him. Kacchan did his best.

"But still, you said you were strong." Izuku retorted, fighting down the anger growing.

A sigh came and Izuku wished this chair would allow him to read the minds of others because he really wished to know what Kacchan is thinking.

<If it was anyone else, I'd assumed you're mocking me. Whatever, I'm done talking to you. Why don't you hop over to Monocle's vision and take a gander? > Izuku wanted to say more but decided against it. He'd pushed enough of his luck with Kacchan. With a mere thought, the screen changed appropriately and turned into one from his female friend's perspective. Watching her hard at work made him feel awful as it serves as a reminder of his choices.

"Um, Daigo-kun, can you hear me?"

<Oh, h-hey. The name's Daigo Nise and you're Izuku Midoriya correct?> Daigo replied. A boyish voice that reflects his appearance; young. Izuku estimates the fellow could be no older than he is or maybe a little younger. From what he has seen, he has black hair and a fairly athletic build, possibly from working as a Hero.