Counting Sheep

Ten sheep, eleven sheep, twelve sheep...

Okay apparently counting sheep is not going to get the image of Sina's biceps out of my head. Which I don't think I'm upset about? I'm honestly surprised I didn't start drooling when he did that... No man should look like a living statue! And his smile, oh Gods, it's amazing. Pair that with those gold eyes of his and I almost asked HIM to marry me...

"Huh, he really has you in a funk doesn't he?"

I'm going to be honest. I forgot I had Gloria with me.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to eye your brother like today's dinner." I hang my head in shame.

She laughs heartily, "Honestly you aren't near as bad as most women I introduce him to! Heck I took him with me to the bakery yesterday and the owner's wife asked if she could touch his muscles. She stated it was because she had never been so close to a gladiator before. But that's a lie because my dad goes in there with me constantly."

"So..."

She looks at me confused, "So what?"

"Did she get to touch his muscles?"

Gloria is laughing so hard she has to bend over to contain herself and honestly I still wanna know if she got to. I mean I at least kept my wants to myself. A little eye caressing never hurt anyone.

"Nope, Sina walked out and waited for me outside." She says as she wipes a tear out of her eye.

We walk a little further in silence and I'm pretty sure it's only so Gloria can catch her breath.

She smiles at me and asks, "So what did you think of him?"

"Your brother?"

"Of course!"

I stop and think about how I want to answer this loaded question. She could want to make sure she finally has a friend who doesn't want to lick her brother from head to toe but then that would make me a liar. Then, there is also the possibility she's on his side in this whole fiasco and I don't want any part of marrying anyone yet. 'Love at first sight' or not...

"Umm, well. He's handsome..."

"And the sky is blue. Tell me something I don't know. I hear that everyday." She nudges me in the ribs and smiles.

I take a deep breath and let it all fall out.

"Okay so I think your brother is the most amazing creature I have ever physically laid my eyes on. He's extremely easy on the eyes and I seem to find some new amazing feature every time I look at him. But I don't like the sickly sweet words or the fact he seems to think I'm just gonna fall at his feet and beg for him to be mine. I want a kind man who loves only me and I worry that a man like your brother would move on to the next beauty as soon as I got old to him..."

She stops me and just stares at me for a minute before she starts walking again.

That's it. I've ruined it. My new friend thinks I'm insane. Well, it was a great day at least.

"Honestly, I think most people would be offended but you pretty much figured him out. He isn't a player per se but he has always had a woman willing to be with him and I do think he expects you to do the same. He would never hurt someone on purpose but love is not without its casualties. Yah know?"

I nod, "Yeah, I know what you mean."

"But I will say I think he honestly means it. I've never heard him call anyone Carissima. That is what my dad used to call my mama. It's kind of a sacred word for the men of my family."

"Then why would he call me that?"

She chuckles, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

"No."

"Well, my family does. My dad fell in love with my mama at first sight and I know for a fact my brother has always wanted that kind of all consuming and endearing love ever since we were very little."

"Your dad believes in love at first sight?"

She nods her head as we walk up to the front door of her house. She turns to my and smiles before continuing, "My dad was 19 when he first saw my mama. She was a foreign slave that had been sold into a law makers house to help his daughter. They met when he made an appearance at the daughters party. He says he saw her standing against a wall from across the room. She had beautiful raven black hair that was in a long ponytail that reached mid back. Her gold eyes seemed to entrance him and when she smiled he tells that he felt his heart fly out of his chest. He introduced himself and told her he was in love with her. Of course she laughed, but he visited her in secret for months winning her over."

"The night she finally accepted him was her 17th birthday. She accepted him into her room that night and low and behold Sina was made. Crappy present in my mind but she said it was the greatest gift she ever received."

I laugh at her narration.

She smiles at me and continues, "Growing up my dad regaled Sina with tails of their love. So of course Sina always wanted to experience it for himself. I remember when we were young he would pray every night to meet his soulmate someday."

Of course he was a precious kid. Of course.

"So please don't think he's some awful man who just wants into your bed. He has plenty of chances for that. He may think you're genuinely his soulmate."

As I let it all sink in I can't help but feel more open to his stupid boyish charms.

"Maybe, I guess we will see. I told him we could be friends."

She laughs, "I guess we will."