Worries of Belva

.. A few weeks later ..

Living with Falco had been surprisingly easy. He was like the dad I had always wanted but never had. He woke in the morning, made a quick breakfast before leaving for the public baths and then work. At first I was too scared to do any sort of wandering outside of the house and I was too nervous to ask any sort of questions in fear of seeming crazy or dim witted. I honestly just wanted Falco to like me half as much as I like him so far.

As the weeks crawled on I decided there was no way I could live inside his home my entire life and seeing as I had lost around 8 years of my life somehow, I had a lot of time to learn about this time and the people around me. I started by asking for small chores first like washing our clothes and cleaning the house. When I felt comfortable with those things I started learning to cook and I was to the point now Falco felt I should finally go to school. I am honestly excited, I miss meeting people. I have to wake before him but it gets me out of the house and that's exactly what I need.

Falco's youngest sister Valeria is coming over today with her daughter Belva to take me to the bathhouse and then school. Belva is 3 years my elder and I've only met her twice now when she would bring Falco something but she is absolutely the sweetest girl I have ever met. After school Belva will head home to learn from her mother's youngest brother on how to be a better house caretaker. Apparently Valeria will be teaching me here, Falco said I should feel blessed to have her take time to teach me when I'm so far behind... I mean I feel like cleaning can't be that hard but maybe I'm wrong?

I hear Valeria enter our home and I rush to join her, I really want her to like me. She's Falco's most trusted sister and he has nothing but wonderful things to say about her. I think he said she was 26? I'm not sure but I know she was very young. It's crazy to think she has a 13 year old!

I smile when I enter the atrium and see Valeria, "Good morning Valeria, I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

She sees me and nearly blinds me with her lovely smile and starts waving for me to follow her, "Oh hello Genevieve, you are just as lovely as Falco and Belva have told me! Come, come we must be on our way now."

We walk outside together and I see Belva waiting right outside the door, "Belva! How are you!"

She comes running up and gives me a huge hug," I'm doing just fine, how are you settling in? I know Uncle Falco can be gone a lot..."

Boy, she has no idea. My biological dad was gone 90% of the time. Falco is always trying to come home or spend time together.

"Oh, I'm settling in just fine. Falco treats me wonderfully and I know he has in important job to do. I'm just happy he can be so kind to a lost child like myself."

Valeria pats my shoulder to get us to start walking towards the bath houses while smiling down at me, "Genevieve, you gave him the family he needed, he so misses his wife and baby. Finding you was a gift from Jupiter. Not to mention you are a stunning addition to our family. If you are smart as you are lovely Falco will be beating the suitors off as we had to with my Belva."

"What do you mean had to? Belva are you..." I look at them both somewhat confused and slightly horrified. Belva is only 13 there is no way she's already spoken for...

Valeria giggles answering me while Belva blushes and looks away, "Of course she's engaged silly, she is 13 years old. I was married and pregnant with my first child by then! Belva has a wonderful match, he is a soldier and son to a well to do law man. He just turned 19 a few weeks ago. He gave her the lovely necklace she has on now actually. I'm quite proud."

Belva interjects quickly after seeing my shock, "He's very kind to me Genevieve. We will be married in a years time! I'm so excited!"

Though I want to throw up at the prospect of getting married anytime soon I feel I have to be happy for her. She's so excited and I refuse to ruin that for her. Not to mention, my "normal" isn't theirs. This is common practice here and I will have to get used to it. Though I do need to remind myself to ask Falco if participation is mandatory...