Farewell to Harper

High school is not for the light hearted. I hate hearing older people constantly tell me "high school will be the best time of your life. Enjoy it while you can."

If this is where I peak at someone take me out back at graduation and end me. There is no freaking way this is the best there is.

I look down at the packet my history teacher just handed out, 'The Roman Gladiator'. Other than getting to watch Russell Crowe strut his stuff in that one movie I highly doubt I'm going to enjoy this chapter.

I sigh before packing it into my backpack, it's Friday and all information about Roman slaves and prisoners being sent to their death will have to wait until Sunday night. I just can't make myself read more right now. My brain hurts.

"Please remember to read the packet I gave you for Monday's class, we will be starting our essays then!" My teacher calls out as the last bell of the day goes off.

I smile as I walk by and give her a little wave, she's a nice lady, it isn't her fault that on Friday my brain just totally quits at lunch. I even like history!

I walk out of school on my own, my few friends already left since their parents love them enough to get them a car. Apparently I'm "too childish" for such a responsibility.

I see my soon to be stepmom Harper pull up, smile and send her a wave. She's a incredibly nice woman, far better than the last few dad brought home. Harper spends time with me and has really turned into one of my best friends. Since my mom, Harper is the best thing my dad has ever done.

I get in ready to ask her what our weekend plans are as dad is off gallivanting across the mediterranean. Apparently being a journalist is more exciting than I thought.

"Hey G, so I have some bad news."

"Oh? Well let's hear it!" I figure maybe she has to work tonight? That happens every so often...

Boy was I wrong.

She's suddenly crying as we drive down the street towards the highway, I give her a few minutes to gather herself. It must be pretty serious if it's affecting her so badly, she never shows her more negative emotions, she's always smiling and laughing.

I finally yank my phone out of my backpack side pocket, it's been going off like crazy since the middle of class and since Harper is still trying to get herself together I have time to check without being rude. It's from my dad surprisingly.

D: Hey honey, please take the bus home.

D: Can you answer me please so I know you see this?

D: Me and Harper are having a bit of an argument, I'd rather you not ride home with her Genevieve.

D: Genevieve I love you so much honey.

D: Do NOT listen to Harper Genevieve, I will talk to you when I get home.

D: GENEVIEVE ANSWER ME NOW.

I'm a little agitated he feels the need to get so upset with me. He knows school is out at 3:15 everyday. I usually get in trouble for texting him at all during school hours... now I'm in trouble for not answering? There's no pleasing this man I swear.

"He cheated on me. The whole time we've been together. He said the only reason he kept me around was because I was the best choice he could make for you." Harper sobs out suddenly.

I'm looking ahead blankly, I'm totally blindsided by the whole thing. I mean, I adore Harper, there's no denying that. But I thought dad loved her just as much as I do... he's been using her as a free adult babysitter while whispering sweet lies in her ear. That's just not okay, who could do that to someone so loving?

"... Harper, I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say."

"I'm just dropping you off at home, I need to get away for a night. I know we planned on movies and popcorn but if you're okay with it I'd like to clear my head."

"Oh of course! Harper, take all the time you need! You're my best friend and no matter what you're the mother figure I've always wanted. I just hope you won't let him ruin our relationship..."

"Oh baby, of course not! You're my little girl!"

I look over to see her smiling at me through the tears, while getting off the main street and close to 'home'.

I don't think this woman knows how to properly hurt. She wants so badly to love and be happy for those around her even when it takes every piece of her to accomplish that.

I feel like my heart is breaking, how could he?! I'm used to him being gone and only dropping by home for new clothes. I'm used to the cold shoulder and ice demeanor in which he talks to people. But Harper? She's not and she doesn't deserve it!

I find myself texting my dad back before I can even think through an entire sentence. I'm just so angry at him!

G: You have crossed a huge line dad. Cheating? That's a new low even for you. Better yet you couldn't even explain yourself to her face, you did it from the beaches of Barcelona through a freaking text message! Don't call me trying to 'explain', I can't take your excuses right now.

I receive his reply within minutes.

D: I'm disappointed in you Genevieve. I thought you would act as an adult and allow me to tell you my side of the story but I see I was wrong. I'll be home in a weeks time. See you then.

Though it's tempting to chuck my phone out the window and watch it smash into tiny shattered pieces I decide turning it off and throwing it into the bottom of my backpack will have to do... for now anyway.

"Oh Shit, G!"

I look up to see a horrified expression on Harper's face. I whip my head back to my window to see what exactly has the poor woman scared for her life only to see a truck speeding through a red light coming directly at us. I don't have any more time to think before impact.

As I black out I can't help but listen to the symphony of sound surrounding me, my short staccato breaths, Harper screaming, glass breaking and metal crunching. It's like a Symphony Hades himself wrote.

Finally, I pick up on the base of this song, a thump-thump like a large drum or a bass string being plucked repeatedly. It takes me a second to comprehend what that noise actually is. It's my heart. I listen to the deep thump of the noise and notice it getting slower and lighter. There's a little more time between each thump.

As it comes to an end I can't help but think, "I'm so sorry Harper."