Adriano

Seven Years Later

I woke up and just seemed to know today was going to be an interesting day. Not only was it my '17th birthday' but it was also the first day Papa was allowing me anywhere near his workplace. You see my 'birthday' is actually the day he found me that summer seven years ago and since then I have asked to spend the entire day with him and go to work. I ask for it every year but this is the first year he is actually allowing it.

He got up before the sun to go to the bathhouse as usual. I told him I would meet him outside near the gardens entrance but he refused and said he would come back by home to pick me up. So here I am, waiting to go to work. I made us a lovely basket of fruits, fish and breads for lunch, there's enough for two so hopefully he has time to eat with me.

"Genevieve!"

My head shoots up and I see him walking toward me with that wonderful smile of his, "Papa, Let's go!"

I run up to him and grab his hand pulling us towards the Ludus Magnus where some of the greatest gladiators in Rome train. I'm so excited! Papa won't let me go to a fight and I'm not exactly sure I could stomach it, but it is exciting to think about! What type of person were these men that laid their life on the line so constantly and with such little care?

As we neared the school Papa felt the need to go over his set of rules... again.

"Remember Genevieve, do not talk to anyone and do not leave my side. Some of these men are prisoners and thieves... even murderers.  I don't want them anywhere near you. The other half are in it for the fame and have no need to be around a young woman. Do you understand me?"

I sigh, "Yes Papa, we've been over this at least a hundred times now. I know I must stay near you at all times, don't talk to anyone but especially when you are not there and to not leave your office."

He pats my head, "That's my bright girl."

Walking into his work is quite exciting, I can hear the swords clank off each other and the different shields being beat against to rile their opponents. I hear men yelling and laughing, some words are kind and encouraging while others are down right vile. I hope they don't use that mouth to talk to their mother...

As we walk by the cafeteria I can see hoards of men eating and drinking, many are smiling and laughing with each other. Some are saying a toast to future success or giving an encouraging pat on the back in hopes of cheering another up. It seems like a family of sorts, a type of brotherhood. It must be while the troupes are often called 'familia gladiatorium'.

As we walk into Papa's office he tells me to sit in one of the back rooms while he helps the men. If he needs my help he will call. Pfft, yeah. Like that is gonna happen. But I still appreciate him trusting me enough to bring me so I settle into the back where a window overlooks the fighters training.

- - - -

I wake to a guttural scream and realize I must have fallen asleep while watching the trainees. My instincts kick in and I fly off my seat and start searching for Papa, I run into the first exam room on the left to find Papa cauterizing a man's wound on his stomach. He's young, maybe 20 and there's a larger man with him aiding in the whole ordeal. He seems like a father figure with how he holds the boys shoulders down and mumbles quiet words of encouragement.

I gasp at the cut, or I should say gash, the man has. It looks awful and I can definitely say I would be screaming too, only much louder and more hysterically. He's handling it quite well in my opinion.

Papa's head spins around to see me in the door and curses under his breath. The larger man holding the boy down turns as well and stares.

"Who the hell is that?"

Papa sighs and pinches his nose before looking at me, "My daughter... Genevieve go back! I told you not to come out of that room unless I called."

"I'm sorry Papa. - I just got worried when I heard the scream." I'm stumbling over words to explain myself in my head. I don't want Papa upset with me, it was just a knee-jerk reaction.

The large man answers for him, "You're fine, just go."

I don't need to be told twice, I run quickly and quietly back to my designated room. I sit down and I send up a little prayer to whoever is listening and ask that the young man be okay and that Papa not be too upset at me. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. I mean how was I to know it wasn't him screaming?

A short time later I hear the door to my room open and I look over to see Papa and the large man standing in the doorway. I forget to breath I'm so nervous of the new comer and end up having to suck in a deep breath randomly as they walk in trying to not look like I may pass out because I forgot to breath momentarily.

"Genevieve, what you did was not okay. I told you to stay in this room unless called on. Do you understand why I was upset at you?"

I want to cry. I hate when Falco is mad at me, it's like disappointing Mr. Rogers. You just don't do it.
"Yes Papa, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to disobey you... I was just worried."

He smiles and bends down to look me in the eyes, "Sweet girl, I know you mean well which is why I can't stay mad at you, but you must listen from now on."

I nod in agreement while wearing a small smile.

Papa smiles at me before standing upright again, "Well, since you two have already met Genevieve this is a good friend of mine, Adriano. Adriano this is my daughter Genevieve."

I stare at the large man named Adriano. He takes up so much of the room in sheer mass, his muscles are bulging and seem to almost strain against his olive colored skin. His dark brown hair has little bits of grey woven throughout and gold eyes that remind me of a wolf. The man is huge compared to most men here in Rome, he is easily 6 foot while most men seem to be around 5'7.

His size is intimidating but when he smiles you can breathe a little better, "Hello Genevieve, I've heard a lot about you from your father. Though I will say you must take after your mother as Falco could never produce such a good looking child alone."

Papa and I both laugh along with Adriano, we agreed many years ago that only those who need to know would be told the truth. I wasn't Falco's daughter by blood but I was by heart. That's what mattered to us.

Falco nods along, "Yes definitely more like her mother. I was blessed with a lovely and incredibly bright daughter. You have two children as well, do you not?"

"Yes, I do. I have a son named Sina and a daughter named Gloria who I think is your daughters age, she just turned 15."

"Genevieve is 17 but they are close in age. How old is your son?" Papa looks over at me and winks. For a man who is letting me decide when to get married this old coot doesn't know when to quit.

Adriano laughs, "Sina is turning 22 this year. Sadly he has decided to follow in my footsteps and become a gladiator, he signed his contract only a few weeks ago. I've tried everything to change his mind but if I tell him no for making the same choice I did what kind of father am I? It has given me the means to care for my children all these years. I only pray he is as blessed in the arena as I have been."

"Have been? Are you no longer fighting?" I can't help it, I'm curious. Shoot me.

"My last fight was two months ago, I bought my freedom from my contract. I will stay to train the younger generation but my fighting days are over thankfully."

"The Ludus Magnus gained an amazing trainer Adriano. I'm sorry to hear your son is following in suit but with a father that made it look easy I can understand why."

To change the mood from somber Papa looks at me with a sly smile and says, "Genevieve, Maybe someday I will be helping Sina and you'll come rushing to my rescue once more?"

"Papa!" I say totally embarrassed. So you try to save your dad from imaginary doom once and next thing you know he will never let you live it down.

Adriano laughs and pats Papa on the shoulder, "My boy would be honored by your daughters presence Falco, even if it is to slay him for your safety."

What the heck? No. I don't think two grown men should team up to embarrass a small young lady like myself.. All I wanted to do was see the trainees fight and watch Papa work. Now I'm fighting off their sarcastic remarks? They're ruining my heroic image of the gladiator. Damn old men.