Chapter 4

'Thoughts'

It wasn't new for Cale to see new faces of servants in his house. They are, after all, one of, if not the richest, noble of the Roan Kingdom.

However, what shocked him was that there was a young one. With bright orange hair and big, innocent silver eyes, if he estimated his age, he would probably be around 2 years younger than Cale, around Basen's age.

It was weird to have someone so young serve him, but well, he does remember Beacrox, also being young, but still he was able to achieve a position as one of the head chefs and being one of the best chefs he knew, so this new butler is probably also a secret prodigy at doing his job as a butler. After all, his father only hires the best, and true to his words, he quickly rose to the position of Deputy Butler.

He would sometimes observe Hans, and if he was to summarize him, he would be a skittish, energetic, and enthusiastic butler. However, he also noticed the times that Hans would flinch if someone came too close without his permission or when someone would yell too loudly. The way he would fiddle with his sleeve to seek comfort.

He also took note that he was scared to be near him... or more like when he was drinking alcohol and seemed drunk. He would see Hans look at him with fear and a little bit of paleness. That's why he only sees the butler every now and then. This behavior was really concerning. He still remembers one of their interactions.

_________________________________________________

"A-ah... Good Morning, young master..." He turned and saw the butler bowing, but he could also see him shaking a bit. His demeanor is very concerning.

He lifted his hand to try and show that he meant no harm to the butler. However, it only seemed to scare him more if the almost teary eyes and a sigh of sob hadn't already given it away.

'Was he that scary?' He simply walked away from the butler, and he could hear the relieved sigh.

'Just what happened to him?'

_________________________________________________

This went on and well, he could see the improvement in Hans' behavior. How he would rarely flinch or even react, but he could still see it in his eyes, the look of fear and pain. But it doesn't concern Cale. He has far more important things to do, like making those stupid nobles shut up about their badmouthing of Violan and Basen.

He ignored the small guilt he felt in his heart.

That was also the last time he ever observed Hans again.

_________________________________________________

Until today, that is.

He stared at the smiling butler in front of him and couldn't help but ask again, just to be sure. "Ron, can you repeat that?"

"It seems that the Count has appointed you a new servant."

'Servant? really? That's the best you can do?' was his bitter thought.

He had to hold back a sigh. "Who is it?" he asked as he stood up to get ready.

"It's Hans, the Deputy Butler."