15

COLTON

Her eyes are wide as she takes in the credit card. I start to regret getting one for her as she keeps staring at it, her ocean eyes fixed on the little plastic thing. She can't possibly spend so much that I'll go bankrupt, but it wouldn't be believable if my wife didn't use a card connected to one of my bank accounts.

Of course, they don't know I control exactly what goes into that account.

I clear my throat to grab her attention again. "You'll need a new wardrobe. Dresses and high heeled shoes for formal events, and then whatever you like for the rest," I tell her.

As her mouth opens, but no sound comes out, I'm suddenly very grateful the girl at the circus was generous last night. If she hadn't helped relieve some of the pressure, I'd probably have struggled a little more seeing her full lips parted, with room for—

I close my mind and motion for her to sit. As she does, I do the same.

"I can't—"

"You're way beyond saying you can't accept this, Liana," I tell her, sliding the card over to her on the table. "The PIN is your birthday."

The papers make some sounds as she picks the card up and looks at it, and I flip through the pages to find what I'm looking for. I need her signature to add her to my data-plan, and to sign the marriage license. Though, that reminds me..

"We'll have our wedding next month," I tell her, "so we'll have some time to plan and send out invites."

She takes a breath. "What?" Now I'm the one being stared at, instead of the black card. "We're having a wedding? Why?"

"Pictures, proof, easier to convince people it's real," I say, listing my reasons. "Make sure you get a dress for that as well."

"You're being awfully serious about all this." She pushes herself away from the table, and furrows her brows. "It's like it's a business meeting, or something."

"Isn't it?" I ask, lifting one brow.

"Probably," she mutters, "but I never thought this was how I was supposed to get married."

I can't help the low laugh that escapes me as I look at her. Her skin is so much more vibrant than before, and her hair is shiny and looks so warm. I lean forward, unable to stop myself from pushing a lock of straight, brown hair away from her face and behind her ear, as I say, "Neither did I."

She swallows, the lump on her throat moving as she looks at me. Our eyes meet, and for a moment, I can't move. I'm completely frozen with my fingers still touching the warm, soft skin by her ear. Her lips parts again, and she bites her lower one, unaware of what that does to my pants.

Fuck, even I don't know what it does to me.

I avert my eyes and lower my hand, letting it rest on the table in front of her. The paper directly under my face shows off her new name, or soon to be new name, and requires her signature. I finally move my hand again and pushes it towards her, finding a pen and setting it down with the paper.

She shakes her head slightly, as if shaking off a thought, and I narrow my eyes at her when she opens her mouth. "I'm just going to sign lots of papers, and then my name changes, and I'm suddenly married to a dick," she says.

I smile. She's back, and her initial shock of the situation has faded, and I must say I enjoyed having her silent—but her smart mouth is part of the reason why I think this ruse will work. I have a feeling that when she puts her mind to something, she goes all in, and she'll shut up anyone doubting us, even if she hates me as much as I dislike her.