51

COLTON

"Please," I whisper for the thousandth time, clutching my girl to my chest, tears running down my cheeks.

Fuck.

I fucked up.

Kenneth's finger pulled the trigger, but I was the one who knocked it out of course, making it hit my Liana instead of me. It would've been better if I was the one lying here lifeless right now.

I should be the one dying tonight.

"Colt.." Callie touches my hand, stroking it, making me look at her instead of my wife's blood on the floor beneath us. "She's gone. I'm sorry. It looks like it would've killed her even if I was right here to—"

"Shut up," I growl. I hug Liana's body closer, but then I clench my jaw and lay her down carefully. I lean over her, kissing her still-warm lips one last time, before I get to my feet.

I just have to do one thing first, then I'll be back holding her. Comforting her. Loving her.

My gun is in my hand in an instant, pointing straight at Sergeant Kenneth fucking Bell. Rina and Dorian both step away, letting me have this weasel for myself. He's still on the floor, both hands tied behind his back, and a grin so wide it makes me see red.

Red for my own past, red for my father's betrayal, red for Brianna and Harold Henderson.

Red for my Liana.

"You've just ended your own damn life, Kenneth, and I'm going to enjoy taking it from you piece by piece, in the most painful and slow way I can imagine," I tell him, all emotions drained from both my voice and face. "And then you'll burn."

He murdered my wife and her family.

I'm going to murder him.