please just get some sleep

When we got back, Raine and Eda were sitting at the kitchen table. I had never really talked to Raine. I had seen them in the Emperor's coven, but never interacted with them. 

"Hey, guys. You're back." Eda said, taking a swig from her mug. Her words were slightly slurred, and she seemed a little sluggish. I also found it a little funny that the mug had the words #1 Mom written on it.

"Eda.. I think you've had too much of that.." Raine said nervously, trying to take the mug from her. 

"Aw, it's fine!" Eda said, putting her arm around Raine. Their face went red. Eda took another sip of whatever she was drinking. "Thanks for lookin' out for me, Rainstorm."

"No problem.." They said. 

"Anyways, I should've told ya before, Hunter's gonna be staying with us now." Eda said. "I've adopted another child."

"I'm not part of your dysfunctional family." I said. 

"It's nice to see you, Hunter." Raine said, still painfully aware of Eda's hand around their shoulder. "And.. you should stay. It's better here. You know that."

"...Maybe that's true for you. But.. it's different for me." I said. 

Eda snorted. "Yeah, can't wait to see how long that reasoning holds up for." 

"Ugh. Whatever." I sat down on the couch, then frowned. "Hey... do you know where my palisman is?" 

"I saw him and Owlbert hanging out a while back. I don't know where they are now." Eda said. She got up and immediately stumbled. 

Raine jumped up and caught her right before she lost her balance. "...you had way too much to drink.." 

"It's fine.." Eda said. "But... I'm gonna go take a nap.." She crashed on the couch next to me.

I stared at her for a second, before saying, "Rascal! Dude! Where are you?" 

I watched as a little red cardinal flew onto my shoulder, followed by a little brown owl. 

"Where were you?" I asked. 

"Owlbert was showing me around. This house is insane.." He said.

"It's crazy." I agreed. 

"How much longer are we gonna be here for? Can we stay?" 

"I dunno, but I don't think that much longer." I said. 

"You can talk to him?!" Luz asked in bewilderment. 

"Yeah, can't all people talk to their palismen?" I asked.

"I've never seen anyone who can talk to theirs." Raine said. 

"Maybe you're just special!" Luz, said her eyes twinkling. "A magical bond like no other!" 

I raised an eyebrow. "...sure.." But I couldn't help from smiling as Rascal snuggled closer to me. 

"I want a palisman." Luz pouted. 

"You'll get one." Raine reassured her. 

"Anyway, where're the other people? Meaning King and Lilith." Luz asked, looking around for them. 

"Lilith took King to the park." Raine said.

"Aw. What a good aunt." Luz said. 

That night, Eda and I sat in the living room. Everyone else was already asleep except for us, since Eda had taken a nap. 

"Alright, kid, I'm going to sleep now. You should do the same." She said, getting up. 

"Eh. Maybe, maybe not." I said, turning the page in the book Luz had lent me. 

"Uh.. I should rephrase." Eda picked up her staff. "You're going to sleep now." 

I barely had time to look up before Eda drew a blue circle with her palisman and and as it hit me, my vision went black.