PrOvE mE rIgHt HuNtEr

We flew to the window that led to my room, and as soon as we did, I lay down on my bed and said, 

"Oh boy. Well that was.. something." 

"We should've stayed." Rascal said. 

"They're getting to our heads. It's better that we're back. Now.. I gotta go find Belos. He's probably mad at me for being gone like that without him knowing. And Kikimora's probably already planned my funeral... Oh boy. I better go clear things up. Wish me luck." I said. I rushed out of the room, and ran to where I could hear the giant heart beating in Belos's throne room. (Ok I don't actually know what this room is called, just go with it)

I knocked, and the door swung open. 

"Hunter." Belos said. His mask was off, surprisingly. 

"Uncle. I'm sorry about my disappearance. It was very sudden." I said, stepping in, closing the door behind me. 

"Where were you?" 

"I was..." I thought for a second. I should've thought this through before I came in here. "I was just scouting, though I ended up getting into a bit more trouble than I thought." 

"You should've told me." He said. "I needed you for a mission, and you weren't here." 

"A mission? About what?" I asked. It was a chance to redeem myself. 

"We need to find Raine. They play a crucial part in the upcoming Day of Unity, and I need them soon. Do you think you could catch them for me?" 

I hesitated. Part of me was happy. I knew exactly where Raine was. But at the same time... Raine and everyone else was giving me another chance to prove myself. I didn't want to throw that away. Who was I going to trust? Belos? Or Luz? "I-.. I'll get working on it." I said. 

"Good." I walked to the door, but just before I was going to leave, Belos said, "And Hunter? Don't fail me again. I know full well you're capable of this. Prove me right." I nodded, then closed the door. 

I walked to my room, conflicted. What was I going to do?

"Rascal, we've got trouble." I said. "Belos wants me to find Raine and bring them back here! I can't do that! But if I fail Belos again, I'll be worthless! What am I supposed to do?" 

"Go back to the Owl House and stay there." Rascal said. I flopped down on my bed face first. 

"Ugh! I can't just do that!" 

"Why not? Does Belos know that you'd be there? He'd probably think that you were dead."  

"I guess.." I said, and sighed. "But... if I bring Raine here, I could prove myself to Belos." 

"Prove yourself to Belos and lose the only true family you'd ever get?" Rascal said. 

"Woah." I sat down. "That was a little intense." 

"It's true, though." Rascal said, sitting on my head. I tried my best to look up at him without moving my head. 

"Jeez, that's a little much. I have a family. Here." I said, but the words didn't sound right. This wasn't the reality. 

"Do you really believe that?"  Rascal asked. 

I hesitated. I didn't. "Rascal... I think you're right." I stayed silent for a minute. "Alright. We should leave... but... we have to wait. At least a day. Luz is gonna be all 'oh, I was right ha, ha'. 

"Alright. I'm gonna start packing." Rascal fluttered off my head. 

"Ok. I guess I should, too. I don't have that much stuff. I won't need the staff that Belos gave me, since I have you." I held out my hand, and Rascal perched himself on it. I gently patted him on the head and said, "Jeez, I don't know what I would be doing without you." 

Suddenly, my door swung open. It was Kikimora.