i get a new family

When I woke up, I was covered by a blanket. My eyes felt heavy, and my wrist ached with the phantom pain of what had happened last.

It took me a second to remember everything that had happened the past couple nights, and to identify where I was. 

Immediately, I recognized the messy couch, little demon dog, and bisexual disaster in the living room. I was back at the Owl House. 

When Luz saw me wake up, she yelled, "Hey, Eda! Hunter's awake!"

Eda sauntered in and sat down at the kitchen table. "How ya doin' kid?" 

"What... what happened?" I asked. 

"Y'see, the branding on your wrist acts as more than just a symbol. It actually has control over you. Unfortunately, the Emperor was trying to use that to his advantage. But we were able to save you and your palisman." Eda said. 

"Why were you guys in the Emperor's coven in the first place?" 

Luz spoke up. "Because. Eda changed her mind shortly after you left. So we came to get you. And it was a good thing we did. We had an epic battle, and then we brought you here." 

"But... won't the Emperor still be able to control me?" I asked, looking at the triangular symbol on my wrist. 

"Yeah..." Eda scratched her neck. "But.. he won't use it. That kind of stuff can seriously damage a person. Do it too much and... it might not go too well. But Emperor Belos needs you for something. He needs you to stay intact until the day of Unity. So he won't be pulling any stunts anytime soon." 

"Oh." I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing. "So... now what?" 

"Well, you could-" 

"Stay with us!" Luz said immediately, sitting up. "That would be awesome!"

"Oh. I guess, yeah." I said, shrugging. It did sound nice. Not having to worry about proving myself, or being back stabbed. 

"Anyways, do you want to head into town? Amity and the twins are gonna meet us, then I have school tomorrow." Luz gasped. "Do you wanna go to school with me? Hunter, you have to go to school with me." 

"Give the kid some time to relax." Eda said. "Calm down." 

"Let's go into town." I said, getting up. 

"Yes! Woo! A new brother!" Luz cheered. For once, I didn't correct her. Maybe being a part of the Owl House wouldn't be so bad.