Chapter 18

Something that Daniel had said got Elijah so mad that he lunged at him. I cringed when I saw blood dripping out of the wound that Daniel had, but luckily, vampires couldn't suffer blood loss. I felt Caine tugging me away from the fight, but the other vampires lunged at us. We fought the vampires, but we were outnumbered.

Vampires poured out of the building, as soon as Elijah saw he and his companions were outnumbered and surrounded, he nodded towards his group. He looked at us and said, "We'll meet again." Then, with a flick of his wrist, they all disappeared, leaving purplish smoke.

"Stupid hybrids," Daniel growled. 

We went back to the building and we all went to the clinic, almost all of us were injured. I wasn't injured that  much but I still wanted to be checked up on. I had to be carried there by Caine, since my leg wouldn't work itself. And it had  to be Caine because he was the only one not injured, but even if there was someone else, Caine wouldn't let them.

Eeek, that was the best experience ever! 

I mentally rolled my eyes at my wolf.

I went into the room they told me to, a doctor went in after me, then started doing what the others did, but not before giving me a smug smile. The wounds on my leg that was left by the tentacles of the monster in the lake swelled up even more as he rubbed an unknown substance into it. I felt the pain go worse, as he rubbed a piece of cloth on it. 

After a few seconds, I felt unbearable pain right at where my wounds were, I blacked out.

***

"We can't trust anyone anymore, the vampire that treated her is a traitor," I heard Caine growl at Daniel, smacking his hands on the desk in front of him. The desk swayed violently, about to fall. If Caine had done it any harder, it would be in pieces by now.

I shifted my position in the bed. When Caine saw me move, he immediately stood up and sat by my side. I opened my eyes and stared at his piercing blue eyes filled with worry and concern. 

"What happened?" I asked.

Daniel and Caine both looked at each other, they were silent for a while, until Daniel spoke up. "The doctor treating you was on the other vampire's side, a spy. And he didn't do anything to help your wounds, actually it's quite the opposite, and now we tried questioning him but he won't say anything besides 'I was supposed to bring Sylvia back to them,' which was already obvious, anyways, we killed him when he wouldn't reveal anything else."

I winced at the thought of the guy bleeding out, dying. Even though he wanted to take me back to that evil vampire's lair, I kind of felt bad for him. Kind of.

He deserved it, my wolf said smugly, she was, after all, the one who helped me heal from the substance that the guy put on my wounds. 

I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice Caine growling and saying things that made the men that had just entered cringe. Daniel stopped him from lunging onto the men, "They weren't the one who wrote the letter, they just found it." 

Caine struggled against his grip, he ended up making Daniel fall towards the men, then the men fell towards different parts of the room, crashing and breaking things. I jumped up from my bed and dodged a vase falling from the upper shelf right on top of me. Caine stood in the middle of all the mess, seemingly to be unaffected by all the trouble he had caused.

When the men finally got hold pf themselves, they glared at Caine and held eye contact, which was a sign of disrespect. He was about to slap one of them when Daniel held up a hand. "They don't know wolf customs and tradition."

Even with what Daniel had said, I felt my wolf wanting to take control and lunge at the man, feeling my wolf's fury on how our mate got disrespected, but I just pushed her back, not having enough energy to even walk back to my bed. I limped my way back and slumped onto the bed.

"Let's take this outside," Daniel growled, still watching Caine's every movement in case he decided to cause trouble again. They all went out of the room, leaving me alone. 

I'm guessing that whatever they were about to talk about was something they didn't want me to hear, or I wasn't supposed to hear, it didn't matter either way. With my wolf's hearing, I was able to overhear some words like 'threat', 'dumb mutts' and others that wasn't really useful nor making any sense.

The door opened and I saw Caine holding out a piece of paper, he held it out to me. I got the crumpled letter in my hands and straightened it. The words were cramped because of the force of being crumpled, but the handwriting was neat. 

The letter read:

Dearest Alpha,

I would watch my back if I were you, just a fair warning, just because you caught my worker at the last minute of your mate being kidnapped doesn't mean we are all as reckless as he was to allow the girl to scream. Yes, you don't have much weaknesses, but upon my spy's observation, your mate is clearly one of them, and she's the reason you'll be taken down. I don't understand why the vampire, Daniel, would help such pathetic werewolves such as yourself, but whatever reason that may be, I do not care; I will kill him with the rest if he would continue to help you and your pack. I hope you sleep well, and enjoy your time with your mate while she lasts

Toodles ,

Elijah