Chapter 25

It was like the whole room had paused. The female vampire looked at Caine desperately. Elijah blinked hard. "Selena, I can find a cure on my own, I don't need that dog's help," he said firmly. 

Selena shook her head. "You have been like this for a few months, we don't know who's behind all the poisoning and you're growing weaker and weaker day by day." Her voice sounded weak. I looked at Selena, then at Elijah. 

My brain started to process what was happening.

Selena and Elijah were like, opposites. Elijah was merciless, a bit heartless, and doesn't care about anything except Selena probably. Selena was gentle, caring, and considerate, so how in the world were they mates?! 

Mates~, my wolf echoed in my head.

Caine looked at Selena then at Elijah, not knowing whether or not this was some sort of trickery.

"I know you probably don't believe me right now, but please help him," Selena said, grabbing a silver key with crooked ends from Elijah's pocket. Elijah immediately protested, trying to get the key back but he didn't have enough strength. Selena swatted his hand away and started unlocking the chains locking us. I stretched my hands once I was free.

For some reason, I felt bad for Elijah because his so-called friends were just using him because of his position and authority. Only Selena seemed to be loyal to him.

Selena tucked her black hair behind her ear. "There, you're free, please heal him, I can trade his life for mine!"

Still, Caine didn't say anything. He can't be that heartless, can he? I mean, yeah, Elijah locked us up and attacked us, twice, but still.

A little girl went into the room. By what it looks, she's probably about 7 years old. She grumpily hopped onto Selena's side.

"Mom, Gareth stole my doll," she complained.

Selena knelt down so that she was face to face with her daughter. "Heather, you should go back, your dad and I are busy."

Heather pouted, "Hmph! You guys are always busy, I wish I had a mom that spent time with me!" Then, she stomped out of the room. A few moments of silence passed, then a little boy came running over, running around the room while waving a doll above his head. Heather came running just right behind him, trying to reach for her doll.

Selena blocked our view of the kids. "Uhm, please don't mind them, lets go to another room," she offered. She led Caine, Daniel and I to another room, and Elijah stayed in the other room because of being just poisoned, he couldn't walk properly yet. She led us to a room with black walls, it was a small room which seemed to be a place for people to talk in. There were two comfy, small, dark blue chairs with a black pillow neatly placed on it's right side, in the middle of the two chairs was a couch, it was comfy and dark blue, with two pillows on either side of it's ends, just at the side of the armrest.

She sat down on the chair on the right, motioning for us to take a seat. I sat down on the middle couch, and Caine took a seat beside me.

Selena looked at us, then started talking. "Look, the reason why Elijah captured your whole pack was to please his father and also to find a cure to the poison spreading in his body. Yes, vampires, werewolves and witches are the three main supernatural creatures so we are kind of immortal if we don't get killed or something, this poison is made especially for vampires and I researched about it and it's nicknamed 'vampire-killer' because it slowly kills a vampire," she began.

She took a deep breath then continued. "There is no known cure for this poison, it's a poison made especially for vampires, but when witches take this poison, it weakens their magic until they'll eventually have none, only werewolves are immune to this poison, so Elijah's mother think it's made by wolves, also one of the reasons Elijah attacked the wolves, but then again we don't have proof." She finished.

Caine shook his head. "We were the one who made the peace treaty, why would you think we would do that to break it?"

I just stayed silent through their conversation, since I had no part in it.

"Okay, since you aren't the ones who made the poison... We should let you and your pack go, but... I know I'm in no position to ask you this since we were the ones who attacked you for no reason but... Can you try making a cure?"

"I can try, but no promises. Carter is the one good at herbs," Caine replied.

She nodded weakly. "Uhm, I'll ask Elijah to let you pack free since they did nothing wrong, you're free to go now," she said, nodding towards the door. I got up first, very bored of the conversation because I wasn't part of it. I went towards the door but when I opened it, I was tackled to the ground by a vampire. 

"Hey!" Selena growled. "You're not allowed to attack anyone without Elijah's or my order or permission!"

But the vampires paid no attention to her, 14 more vampires jumped out of nowhere and attacked us. Caine stepped in front of me and fought off the people who attacked us, I couldn't do much to help, except tell him when someone was attacking from a different direction.  I noticed that no matter how intense the fight got, none of them hurt Selena.

Luckily, there were only about 15 members of their coven who were rebelling, and so they were overpowered easily. Other vampires surrounded the vampires who attacked Caine, Selena, and I. Selena looked troubled as she stared at the leader of the rebels. His eyes scanned her body for injuries, when he found none, he exhaled in relief.

"I- I told you to leave me alone," Selena whispered a tiny hint of fear in her voice.

"You chose him instead of me, but we've been together more than you have been with him, I won't give in!"