Chapter 26

"You said you'd respect my decision, whoever I chose," Selena said weakly. 

The rebels' leader's eyebrows furrowed. "I only said that because I thought you would choose me, I knew you since we were young, I took care of you when your parents disowned you. Who was with you when your first boyfriend broke up with you? Me! Who was with you when you needed someone to cry on most? Me! I was always there for you. Where was he all those times? Huh?!" His words cut Selena deep, a tear slipped down her eye.

"Look, I'm sorry, it was a really hard decision to make... my mate or my childhood best friend, but you know I can't do that to my mate, I can't live without him!"

"What about me? You can live without me? Have you ever even cared about me?" he whispered the last word out. 

This conversation was getting so emotional.

And heartbreaking, my wolf added, pretending to wipe a tear from her eye.

"I did, I- I thought we'd still be friends even though I chose him.." her voice trailed off. "You said-"

"I said all of those because I thought you would choose me instead of him," he growled. "I mean, now he's just a nuisance to you, you're the one taking care of him instead of the other way around. He deserves to be poisoned."

Selena gasped. "L-liam! Were you the one who poisoned him?"

Liam rolled his eyes. "Well? What do you think?"

"Y-you did! It was you!" Selena's shaky voice whispered, she pointed an accusing finger towards his direction.

"You really think I'd take your happiness from you? No, I'm not that cruel."

Selena exhaled in relief, but I still thought it was him who did it. It all adds up. Liam was mad at Selena for choosing Elijah instead of himself, who was with Selena longer than when Elijah was, but they were mates. Liam couldn't bring himself to hurt Selena, so he brought up all his anger mixed with hatred towards Elijah so that if he died, Selena would come crying to him and he would probably take advantage of her vulnerability.

But, of course, being a person who trusts easily, Selena didn't think much about it.

Elijah came limping towards us, but when he saw Liam and Selena in the same room, his fists clenched in a tight ball, trying to contain his anger. 

Suddenly, it was like he healed on his own, he rushed towards Selena and started checking and examining her, looking for an injury or bruise. When he found none, he turned around to glare at Liam. 

Liam grinned widely. "Oh! It seems like you're already healed. Were you faking it the whole time?" 

"I wasn't-"

"Or were you faking it so that Selena would worry about you?"

"I didn't-"

"Enough!" Selena screamed. "If he was faking it, he wouldn't have bothered hiding it from me the first time. And please, please leave me alone Liam."

Liam blinked. He looked hurt. "Well, don't bother asking me for help in the future, if he mistreats you, I will just laugh and blame you for it." 

After he said those words, he signaled something I didn't quite understand towards his fellow rebels. They all jumped out of the window. When he was the last one left, he glanced at Selena one last time, then left.

Selena looked at Elijah. "I hope I could get your permission to let the wolves and other vampires free."

He nodded but didn't say anything. 

***

After a few days, we were back at the pack house, with all the other werewolves, they're injuries were treated, and they were well taken care of. Carter was making a cure for Elijah, even though he protested multiple times because of his grudge against vampires.

During these days, Caine and I started growing further apart, I didn't understand why he wanted to stay away from me. Maybe it was because I was a human, and werewolves considered humans as filthy, untouchable beings. Due to having nothing to do, I spent my days reading books about them, I just wanted to fit in.

I was sitting on my bed, reading about how vampires and wolves have been in war for years until they finally made a peace treaty when a knock sounded from my door.

"Come in," I called. 

The door opened and Beta Jones went in. He smiled at me warmly before speaking. "We weren't able to do the acceptance ceremony yet, so basically, you and the other humans who turned into werewolves aren't part of the pack yet, we will have the ceremony after two days, I advise you to make some friends before the ceremony so that it will be easier for them to accept you into the pack."

"Oh okay," I said. I would have asked about how it worked but I have already read about this ceremony in a book. He nodded and left.

I sat on my bed, in silence once again, but the silence was short-lived, for, after a few minutes, someone burst into my room, without knocking. A three men went in, followed by two other girls, happily chatting with each other, when they were close enough for me to hear what they were talking about, they stopped talking. 

"Uhh, you guys didn't knock," I said, pointing at the now-abandoned door.

"I would, but I was eating Skittles, I might have dropped some," one of the men said as he sucked his chubby finger, which was purplish-red in color, he sucked the flavor out of it and then pointed at the man who opened the door. "Blame him." Then he grabbed another plastic of Skittles and started eating.

When one of the girls tried to grab a Skittle, he swatted her hand away. "Mine."

I stared as they started quarreling, this group sure was a lively one. I watched as they fought over the last plastic of Skittles, how I wish I could be in one of these kinds of groups of friends. But I couldn't fit in nor blend in with the wolves who were born as wolves, isn't that why Caine keeps his distance from me?

If only I could fit in.