Chapter Eighteen

It was the day before the bird man's birthday and we were getting married. We didn't make a big deal of it, didn't really want anyone to know what was going on despite the joking post I made the day before. We didn't dress up or anything, there would be time for that later when the threat of being pulled apart didn't linger over out heads. This was a last resort, sure, but to us it made so much sense. It was like everything we had been through was leading up to this.

Hawks wondered into the bathroom right as I stepped out of the shower. I didn't notice the door opening until it was too late, and the man I loved was standing there with a smirk.

"Keigo!" I shrieked, throwing my towel at him "Fuck off! Don't scare me like that!"

"Oh come on, Baby bird!" Hawks laughed, throwing my towel at me and turning around after he grabbed what he needed "It's not like we haven't seen each other naked before."

I laughed along. I couldn't help it, his laughter was just contagious and he did have a nice chuckle. Despite the euphoric feeling the thought of today's activities brought there was still that underlying stress and fear. The stress and fear that this wouldn't work. But it had to. We didn't have a choice.

After I was dressed and all rugged up, ready to go, Hawks handed me a travel mug of hot (drink). He had one of his own in one hand and with the other he tugged me out the door with him. He let go to lock up and we wandered the streets together, hand in hand. We were bundled up so much, in hats, coats, scarves and sunglasses, that it would be a miracle if anyone had recognised us. That was despite his bright red, ever present wings that had a habit of wrapping the one closest to me around me to pull me in closer. Not that I minded, they kept out the wind and brought in a warmth similar to his arms when we cuddled.

It was a short trip to the courthouse but once we got there we finally had the brains to check that we had everything we needed. The guy from the comission really had covered all of our bases, sending copies of both of our documentation.

"I'm Keigo Takami and this is my girlfriend (y/n) (y/l/n)," Hawks began, most likely using his name and the status that came with it to try and get us in faster

"This is kind of sudden but it's urgent," I explained "We need to sign a marriage certificate."

"Do you have all the correct documentation?" The front desk lady asked, peering over her glasses at the two of us "Birth certificates and the like?"

"Yes, ma'am," Hawks and I both spoke

Luckily for us we were the only ones there and there was nothing going down today so when we went up to the reception counter to explain what we needed she led us straight into an empty office. I set up my phone to capture and film everything as the front desk lady acted as the eyewitness. She retrieved the certificate and presented it to us.

Hawks and I sat down in the two chairs at the desk, not even bothering to get comfortable. We signed our names and filled in what we needed to. We didn't need a big ceremony or anything, we just needed it to be recognised in the eyes of the law.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Hawks asked, hesitating and hovering over the last piece we had to sign "I can't... I don't want to force you into anything."

"Don't be a dumbass," I laughed, putting my hand on his cheek and watching as he leaned into my touch "I need you as much as you need me and if we have to sign a stupid ass piece of paper to keep that in place then I'm happy. I don't ever want to leave your side, even if it hasn't been that long. So yes, I'm ready. I'm ready if you are."

"Of course I'm ready," Hawks smiled, finally signing the last bit of paper and handing it to the correct people to get it officiated "Careful there Baby bird, are you trying to upstage me? Those sounded a lot like vows to me."