3: Locked In

"What's wrong, y/n?" Sundrop asked, seeing me searching the daycare aimlessly.
"Lost my keys" I said "Can't get home without 'em. Or into my home." 
"Then I'll help you look!" Sundrop replied cheerily as always.
Soon enough, it was nearing 11:30 and we still hadn't found them. We managed to clear the whole daycare, upstairs included...except the ball pit. Of course it had to be the ball pit. My keys could only be in a massive moat of colorful plastic balls. That's just the luck of today, huh? And just to top of this total lack of sundae of a day, as soon as I had accepted my fate of digging through the ball pit for what was pretty much a needle in a haystack, the closing announcement sounded. 'Initiating nighttime protocols' echoed in my head.

"GODDAMMIT" I shouted, hitting the plastic balls surrounding me in anger.
"What is wrong, y/n? Once we find your keys you'll be able to leave. You're not trapped." Sun said, with his usual optimism, hope gleaming in his eyes.
"I know, I know, but it's just...

"Freddy creeps me out. Always has."
"I will protect you!"
I couldn't help but smile. His is just contagious.
"Thank you sun."
"It's my pleasure, y/n." He said, wading through balls to get to me, then trapping me in a strangely warm embrace. I hugged him tight and, admittedly without thinking, gave him a kiss on the cheek. Sun let go of me, and I saw his face...mask...? Spin around, practically fully red. He grabbed onto the spikes on his mask to stop the spinning.
"Sorry I-" I began
"it's fine y/n. Just...didn't expect that." He interrupted me to say

After a while of searching, I gave up. It was driving me insane. I pulled myself out of the pit and laid down next to it, my back on the soft flooring, my feet hanging over the edge. Sundrop followed me out, standing over me, looking into my eyes with a slightly tilted head, before copying my position.
There was a moment of silence before
"Do you have kids?" Sun asked
"what? Hell no! I don't even like kids" he sounded extremely confused, like nobody could possibly dislike children, when he asked
"why do you work here then?"
"Well at first it was for the money."
"At first? So not anymore?"
"Well...the moneys still a factor but not the biggest reason"
"What is then? Fell in love with the job?"
"Sun, we're child zoo receptionists. Who, other than you, would own that? Oh, child zoo receptionist, that's me!"
"That's what makes you so brave. You do own it."
"Thanks sunny...
That's actually my biggest reason for staying."
"Your bravery?"
"No, you. You make this place tolerable."