7: Maintenance

Y/n's POV
There I sat, half inside the play structure, leaning my back on the wall behind me, my feet out the hole of the play structure. Sleep was calling me, but I had to fight it. I had to be awake when sundrop came back down.
Sundrop leaped down with less joy than normal...
Did moon lie?
As sun approached, I could see more and more, not a look of sadness, or hurt, but sympathy. A soft look. I could tell Moon told the truth. Thank god. He approached and sat next to me. "Sleep. It's okay. I know the truth now." He said as I sank into the abyss of unconsciousness.

I woke up at around...I'd have to guess 6 am. Vanessa was knocking on the big wooden daycare door. Yelling for sundrop.
He opened it.
"Sun, have you seen Y/N? Their cars still in the parking lot and their keys have been in the staff locker room all day, so I assume they're still here"
That's where they were?!
"Yup I'm here!" I called out to Vanessa.
"Oh perfect. Well, just to let you know, sun and moon will be going in for scheduled maintinence next Monday. Also, here are your keys, don't lose them again. Staying overnight looks unprofessional." Vanessa said before turning and leaving before I could get a word in. Guess someone's busy.

About a week passes, relatively uneventfully. I show up Monday, excited to see sunny...but he's not there? I look around, even climb the tower. Then I remember. Scheduled maintenance.
I start setting things up. It's really strange here without him. Working alone. Complete silence in the daycare. It felt...wrong. Like I was in the backrooms...or some cruel prank was being played. I half expected sun to jump out whenever I opened anything.
Dealing with the kids alone was...something else. I no longer had my backup. And kids just kept asking-no, begging, pleading for sun. Worst part? I couldn't even blame them. I'm nowhere near as filled with energy as he is, I can't bring immediate joy like he does, i can't even begin to compare. He is the whole selling point of the daycare. And moon...he can immediately soothe any kid, I mean, it's what he's built for! Well, that and security.

I'm inferior to them. I'm not good enough. I can't do my job right! These kept replaying through my head all day but...all day, there was this kid, Kate. Kate was so sweet. She stayed with me, right by my side. She really seemed like she had nothing better to do than hang out with me. Hang out with the daycare attendant. And not the fun one. Luckily, not many kids showed up, but it was still a difficult day.

AN: I'm sorry, I hate authors notes but I figured I should apologize. I forgot about this story for a bit and I thought I posted everything I had written but I actually have a few chapters worth of writing ready to post. I'm sorry again. I will try to be better about uploading. Thank you for reading. I really appreciate it. <3