Chapter 1

It was 19 year old Laura's first day at her new karate studio. Somehow, she was simultaneously excited and terrified. The teachers here were supposed to be amazing, especially if Carmilla Karnstein was an example of their work. She was a five time U21 champion and Laura had had the honor of having Carmilla hand her ass to her...twice. The girl was good, and the only reason Laura had only ever come in second once. Laura was pretty good herself.

"Ms. Hollis, thank you for coming! You're just in time for sparring! Since it's your first day you don't have to participate if you don't want to..." said a woman who looked to be in her late thirties or mid forties. Laura turned her most charming smile on her.

"No, no, I'm always ready for a good tumble, just let me get changed!" she said before skipping off to the changing rooms. Karate kids got adjusted to changing in rooms full of other people at an early age, and Laura had never had a problem with the practice before. he had changed in the same room as Rowdy Rousey before, her celebrity crush and never blinked once. Yet somehow, this was the first time she had been struck speechless by someone who wasn't even naked.

Carmilla Karnstein's back was to her as she pulled off a filmy, white, loose fitting shirt, revealing her bra strap and one of the single most muscular backs Laura had ever seen on another girl. Laura continued in without saying anything and changed into her usual uniform of rash-guard and tiny spandex shorts. Meanwhile Carmilla Karnstein was taking her precious time and didn't turn around until Laura was done with both her staring and her changing, only catching a glimpse of Laura's legs and ass.

Where have I seen those before? Carmilla thought, completely unaware of the fact her school had a new student.

-----/////-----

She was just stepping out of the changing rooms when she was a tiny someone she didn't know wrapping her legs around one of her fellow student's knees and bringing them crashing to the floor. Almost faster than Carmilla could see, the new girl was on top of ....LaFontaine, Carmilla finally put the name to the face, the non-binary redhead. Three seconds later and it was the new girl's win.

"Wow," said LaF "I don't think anyone but Karnstein has been able to take me down that quickly before." they said with a chuckle.

The new girl stood up and offered them a hand in getting up, then proceeded to explain to them the best way to counter the same move that she had just used to take them down. Carmilla had never seen a student take the time to help train another student like that before. It was almost enough to make her smile...almost.

"Now, let's see the champ spar the newbie." suggested Danny Lawrence, another of the more impressive students the Silas gym had turned out.

"I like that idea." said the coach who just so happened to also be Danny's mom.

"Carmilla, if you would." said Coach Lawrence. Laura stood up and brushed off her knees.

"Hi." she said with a feeble smile, her eyes scanning Carmilla. She was maybe an inch taller than Laura, her black hair tied in a ponytail on the back of her head. She wore a three quarter rash guard shirt in black and red. Her pants were skin-tight, tights-style, that came down to maybe two inches below the knee.

"Hey." Carmilla replied, enjoying eyeing this tiny fighter just as much as the other enjoyed eyeing her. She was more distracted before this fight than she ever had been before. Apparently it was very important that she classify the exact shade of brown vs. blonde of Laura's hair before focusing in on kicking her ass. She didn't think that she had ever fought anyone this absolutely adorable before.

"I've been wanting this rematch for a while." Laura confesses and Carmilla is suddenly very confused, she has absolutely no idea what this shiny little person is talking about.

"I'm afraid that I have no clue as to what you are referring." Carmilla replied while she strapped on her gloves, her face shutting down into the expressionless mask she wore for fighting.

"U21 Tournament of 2013, Laura Hollis." she reminded her and introduced herself, sticking out her gloved hand.

"You're Laura Hollis? Hmmm." Carmilla said, shaking the younger girl's hand and trying to remember the details of their fight. "I feel like I should remember that."

"Are you ladies ready, yet?" asked Coach Lawrence, sounding rather exasperated.

"Yes, ma'am." Laura said, getting frustrated with Carmilla's dismissive attitude towards her.

Laura stood and waited in the center of the taped off square of the middle of the room, watching Carmilla lazily strap on her shin guards while the other students lined the walls to watch.

"For those of you who don't know, Ms. Hollis' techniques are based in Tae Kwon Do and Krav Maga. She's her region's seven time champion in co-ed, girls, open class, and midrange class for U21 sparring and points style tournaments. Also, she's come in second in Nationals to our own home town heroine, Carmilla Karnstein. Despite only weighing 97 pounds with a height of 5 feet and 2 inches, Laura Hollis is someone not to be looked down on." Coach Lawrence explained as Carmilla entered the ring, absorbing every word.

Now she recognized Laura. Laura had almost managed to take her head off twelve times in the span of three minutes. She hadn't recognized her because her in that match her opponent had moved so quickly that Carmilla hadn't had any idea of what she had looked like until she had finally won the match. (She still had no idea how she had won that one.)

"Bow." instructed Coach Lawrence.

"Touch gloves." Carmilla and Laura bowed to one another without breaking eye contact, stood up and tapped their gloves together.

"And...begin!" Coach shouted.

Laura was just as fast as Carmilla remembered, jumping forward with a turn crescent kick that was aimed for Carmilla's head. The champion barely managed to smack her foot out of the way in time, leaving no openings for her counter. However, she did use the opportunity to spin into a reverse turn side-kick at Laura's chest, but when she had come back around the girl wasn't there anymore. Laura knew that she had Carmilla on the ropes if only she could land something. She had known when she had gotten into martial arts that she would never win a match based off of her size or strength, she had stopped growing in the sixth grade. Her greatest advantage was in her speed and accuracy. She could throw five kicks in one jump. Somehow though, Carmilla Karnstein was blocking all of them, so she changed tactics. She stopped her constant movement for a second and allowed Carmilla's eyes to catch up with her, just as she had expected the champion immediately went on the offensive.

Laura slid in beside of the kick and planted her foot inside of Carmilla's guard, points style, not hard enough to hurt her, but a solid enough tap to let the taller girl know that she had been had.

"Break!" yelled Coach when Laura had already retreated back into her defensive stance.

"That was great ladies! That last kick was an amazing move, Laura, and Carmilla, you put up a great fight. Maybe you could show her how you pulled it off, even the best have things to learn sometimes!" Coach said when the two girls had separated and were breathing heavily.

"Shake hands and move off to the side." Laura and Carmilla shook hands, bowed to one another, and thanked each other for the match.

"You're amazing." Laura says as they stow their gear. "People always try to pin me down with a tackle or something, but you just kept chasing me down. You're almost as fast as I am."

"Do you always talk this much after a match?" Carmilla asks, pulling off her helmet and shaking out her hair.

Laura's face falls and Carmilla feels the tiniest twinge of regret, but knows that she can't risk the potential distraction of Laura Hollis. To mask her disappointment, Laura does the same before freeing her hands and feet of protective gear as well. She didn't even feel excited about winning anymore. She hadn't won against Carmilla verbally, but she had definitely won that match.