Chapter 3

“But Mom, Why can’t it just be us girls and LaF this year?” Danny asks with a groan.

“You call yourselves the Summer Society because of this trip right? You and your college friends? Why change it now?” Coach Lawrence asks, without actually turning around to look at her daughter.

“No. We didn’t name it after the trip. The Summer Society was active before your mother was born. You’re not understanding me, Mom. No one at our gym but Elsie was ever a sister. She’s the only one. But all of the Zetas are going to be there. We’re going to be grotesquely outnumbered if something happens.” Danny protests.

“But you and that Kirsch boy used to be such good friends.” the Coach complained as she focused on making their ridiculously healthy dinner. “Have you been thinking about how you’re going to woo Laura Hollis onto our tourney team, yet?”

“No, but I’ve been thinking about it, don’t worry.” Danny reassures her. This is partly true. She has been thinking about wooing Laura Hollis...just not onto the team.

-----/////-----

“Are you packed yet?” Laura’s dad yells up the stairs.

“Yeah, Dad!” she yells back.

“Did you remember your new swim suit?” he asks as he comes up stairs.

“Yes.”

“Sunscreen?”

“Yes.”

“Bear spray?”

“Yes.”

“Shark knife?”

“Yes, Daddy. I am prepared to be faced with any version of the apocalypse. I am going to be fine, trust me.” Laura says, tilting her head to the side and hugging her father.

“I know, I know, I just don’t like sending my baby girl off with a bunch of people that I don’t know very well. I know you can take care of yourself but a father worries.”

“I know you do, and I worry too. Find someone to spend tomorrow with. I don’t want alone all day. I’m going to be too busy to mope tomorrow, with the beach and the running and the exercise. So find something to keep your mind off of things and say “Hi and I love you” for me when you go see her.” Laura requested.

“Of course, baby girl. Anything for you.” Laura kissed her dad’s cheek and left.

-----/////-----