Chapter 17

Temi POV

The first thing that hits me once I walk into the party is the atmosphere. The music is loud, borderline deafening. Lights are flashing rapidly and I take a couple of blinks for my eyes to adjust. People are everywhere, just packed together like sardines and the stench of sweat is thick in the air.

I immediately start second guessing coming here. I sneak a glance at Isa, who is also studying the party scene before us. Her expression is guarded, and I can't tell what she's thinking.

As much as I want to retreat, to just turn around and go home, I know that this is for the greater good. Maybe I have to endure one night, but hopefully, tonight will be all I need for my plan of getting rid of Isa to work. Fingers crossed, she'd have her bags packed by tomorrow morning.

Against my better instinct, I walk forward into the room. Pushing myself through the mass of sweaty bodies, all the while trying to keep myself from retching. Isa is right behind me, silently pushing her way through as well.

It's shocking to think that not so long ago, I blended in perfectly with the sweaty bodies. I was a routine party-goer just last semester. But that feels like an eternity away.

"Temi!"

I turn my head towards Melody's familiar voice. I am actually relieved to see her, a familiar face between the mass of unknown bodies.

"I'm glad you could make it," she says. She sounds breathless and looks flushed. I wonder if she had actually expected me to show up. Melody's eyes waver and fix themselves on Isa, curiosity present in her features.

"Hi, I'm Melody," she finally says.

There is a brief pause before Isa finally speaks up. "Isabella, but you can just call me Isa." That's all she says. No further explanation. I am thankful for this, as I am not willing to have an awkward conversation about why I have a bodyguard.

Melody looks back at me, curiosity still clear on her face. I know she wants an introduction of some sorts. Or rather, more of an explanation as to who Isa is to me. But I bite on my tongue, keeping my mouth shut.

"Come meet everyone," Melody finally says once she realizes I will say nothing further.

I let her pull me through the crowd, with Isa hot on my tails till we get to another room. The lights in this room are a much warmer color and it isn't as noisy. In fact, there are far fewer people in this room compared to the one that we had just left and I feel my breathing come out easier.

"Hey guys, guess who's here," Melody announces to a group of people sprawled out all over couches.

I recognize them as Melody's friends and other people she hangs out with. I smile politely and give a little wave as I take a free seat on the edge of a couch.

"Temi, it's so nice to see you. We've missed you," a guy with long dark hair says and I smile politely. I know he's just being polite. They most definitely have not missed me. After all, the extent of my 'relationship' with Melody's friends was just partying together with them every weekend.

Someone says something and the attention soon diverges from me, for which I am greatly relieved.

I am very conscious of Isa, leaning against the wall a little distance back. Her hands are tucked into her pocket and her eyes are observing me. She blends in easily, and nobody gives her as much as a second glance. She appears to be just some other college student. No one would ever believe that she's a bodyguard.

I am suddenly nudged from the side and I look up to see all eyes focused on me expectedly.

"Um, did I miss something?" I ask, awkwardly laughing, to hide the fact that I had just zoned out.