01.2

・ ̣ ✵ ・ *

.・ ̣ ✵ ・ *.

⠀⠀⠀ EITHER MANDO HAS underestimated how fast he is gaining or the thief has stopped, because the tracking fob is blinking faster and faster. It's also very possible that the thing is broken, in which case he's zooming across a literal ocean of ice for no reason.

⠀⠀⠀ Then again, he can see a faint heat signature against his visor, so he has to be somewhat on the right track. At least, that's what he tells himself.

⠀⠀⠀ He sighs. The storm around him is cold and biting, he has the blissful luck to be chasing some thief across the ice instead of collecting credits on Nevarro. Figures.

⠀⠀⠀ Something's wrong.

⠀⠀⠀ The thought is not much more than a whisper, but Mando instantly comes alert. It takes him approximately half a second to figure out what's going on: the thief's heat signature is becoming clearer and clearer, far too quickly.

⠀⠀⠀ He's left with two possibilities, both somewhat concerning. Either the thief has stopped, which suggests a crash. Or, the thief is speeding toward him. He hopes it's the first, but as if on cue, a shadow looms out of the snow, only a cubit or two away.

⠀⠀⠀ Surprise scatters his wits, and for a single, terrible second, he's frozen. Then panic returns his nerves, and he yanks his speeder away. His weight shifts. The thief shoots past, close enough for him to catch a glimpse of dark eyes, cold as the belly of the void.

⠀⠀⠀ Then he's weightless, flying through the air, the ground swallowed by the sky, the sky by the ground. The world's white, blue, gray, white, blue, gray, over and over again until he slams into the ice.

⠀⠀⠀ The impact jars the air from his lungs and his vision swims. He's glad for his helmet, and that's his last thought before his vision goes dark.

⠀⠀⠀ WHEN MANDO WAKES, the world is lost in the blizzard.

⠀⠀⠀ He takes inventory of his body. Nothing is broken, but he'll probably have several nasty bruises. His head throbs, and he wishes he'd anticipated the thief's move quicker.

⠀⠀⠀ He's lost his advantage too. Mando can't see the thief's heat signature anymore; she's long gone. Then he realizes that he cannot see any heat signature, and he sighs.

⠀⠀⠀ The button he presses clicks, and he waits.

⠀⠀⠀ Nothing.

⠀⠀⠀ That's not good. He tries again, with the same result.

⠀⠀⠀ "Wonderful," he sighs.

⠀⠀⠀ Another item for his list of delights is the fact that his speeder is also gone, swallowed by the blizzard. All around him, the world is white and gray. Gusts of wind billow around him, buffeting his body and roaring in his ears.