04.2

・ ̣ ✵ ・ *

.・ ̣ ✵ ・ *.

⠀⠀⠀ CYI HAS DECIDED that she likes Cara. They're sitting in the tavern with Mando, and Cara's telling them about her time as a shock trooper.

⠀⠀⠀ "Saw most of my action mopping up after Endor," she's saying. "The brass wanted it fast, quiet. They'd drop us in, no backup, no air support, no nothing.

⠀⠀⠀ "Sounds delightful," Cyi mutters.

⠀⠀⠀ "Yeah, fun times," Cara agrees. "After we won, things changed. Politics shifted. and all of the sudden, we were peacekeepers. Stealth op missions turned into protecting delegates, suppressing riots of scared, broken people. Not what I signed up for."

⠀⠀⠀ "How'd you end up here?" Mando asks.

⠀⠀⠀ She shrugs. "Let's call it an early retirement. Look, I knew you were Guild. Thought you had a fob on me. otherwise I wouldn't've come at you so hard."

⠀⠀⠀ "Yeah, that's what I figured," Mando sighs. "I should have asked Cyi to talk with you first."

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi glances at Cara. "I would've said 'crik no' and left" she admits. "No offense."

⠀⠀⠀ Cara smiles. "None taken," she says. "Although for the record, I wouldn't've hurt you."

⠀⠀⠀ Something in her tone tells Cyi she's not lying, and it occurs to her that she wouldn't mind staying with this soldier until she can find a way back home. She still doesn't quite trust Mando's offer.

⠀⠀⠀ "What about you?" Cara asks. She's talking to Mando, but Cyi answers anyway.

⠀⠀⠀ "The two of us-" she juts her chin at the kid "-are Guild bounties. Mando here got us both. Had a change of heart and busted the kid out."

⠀⠀⠀ "I see," Cara says. "Not you?"

⠀⠀⠀ "I wasn't part of the plan." Cyi shrugs. So what if that knowledge stings a little? "Right place, right time and all. I saved his ass; he gave me a ride."

⠀⠀⠀ Cara looks across the table, and Mando nods. "That is the gist of it," he agrees.

⠀⠀⠀ Surprise flits across Cara's face. "Oh," is all she says.

⠀⠀⠀ "What did you think the situ was?" Cyi snaps.

⠀⠀⠀ "I didn't really have an idea."

⠀⠀⠀ "Mmh," Cyi mutters. Well, for all her muscles, the soldier sure can't lie.

⠀⠀⠀ It's Cara who changes the topic. "Well," she says, "this has been a real treat, but unless you wanna go to another round, one of us is gonna have to leave, and I was here first."

⠀⠀⠀ "Fair," Mando agrees calmly.

⠀⠀⠀ No, Cyi wants to say. No it's crikking not. Go another round, Play dirty. Or leave, and let me stay.