01.4

・ ̣ ✵ ・ *

.・ ̣ ✵ ・ *.

⠀⠀⠀ IN MANDO'S OPINION, there are several components to an unpleasant time. All of them involve people. In this particular case, a chattering mythrol and a snarky thief.

⠀⠀⠀ Said mythrol is sitting stiffly in his seat. His hands twitch, and his eyes dart to Mando every few seconds. He rambles a nonstop babble of compliments, a not-so-subtle attempt to garner Mando's favor. It will not work.

⠀⠀⠀ The thief, by contrast, is lounging in her seat. Her eyes are closed, and her feet are kicked up on the control panel. For what feels like the millionth time, Mando shoves them off, only for her to plop the back a second later. He finally elects to ignore her.

⠀⠀⠀ "...a classic, truly," the mythrol is saying. If Mando's keeping track, he's referring to the Crest.

⠀⠀⠀ "It's a disaster." The thief's voice is somehow both nonchalant and scornful. Mando sighs, and thinks about the credits he'll get for bringing her in.

⠀⠀⠀ "Well I think it's spectacular," the mythrol says hurriedly. "Razor Crest, right? Pre-Empire? She's beautiful, really."

⠀⠀⠀ Were Mando the more expressive type, he'd roll his eyes.

⠀⠀⠀ "You can ignore what she says," he continues in a conspiratorial voice. "Honestly, what does she know-"

⠀⠀⠀ "More than you, presumably," the thief says placidly. "But please, keep talking about what I do and don't know."

⠀⠀⠀ The thief's boots thunk to the floor as she sits up.

⠀⠀⠀ "Actually, you know what?" she says. "Just shut up. Your voice is particularly unpleasant. Very whiny."

⠀⠀⠀ For a blessed second, the mythrol falls silent, and the thief's boots appear at Mando's elbow again. A single blessed second and a single blessed second only, because almost immediately, the mythrol's nervous voice fills the cockpit once more.

⠀⠀⠀ "Did I mention that I have a lot of credits?"

⠀⠀⠀ The thief makes an exasperated sound but says nothing, and Mando remains silent. If there's one thing he's learned, it's that silence can be the most unsettling.

⠀⠀⠀ "Like, a lot?" He doubted it.

⠀⠀⠀ Another beat of silence, then the mythrol switches tactics.

⠀⠀⠀ "Uh, how much are they paying you?"

⠀⠀⠀ Patience.

⠀⠀⠀ "Is it true that you guys don't take your helmets off?"

⠀⠀⠀ Patience, patience, patience.

⠀⠀⠀ "Do you have an actual name?"

⠀⠀⠀ That question catches Mando off guard, because it's not one of the typical ones. It makes him think.