Chapter 43

Chapter 43

**

Scarlett

I was currently working overtime since I was late to work and have been missing them for quite sometime now on daily basis. Threatens on me was no reason to miss out on my living. I'll die either way due to lack of money since money needs to be spend on food and shelter.

Lizzy has been a huge help to me too. After she was taken down to the station as a suspect on my case, the guilt has been weighing me down because there was nothing I could to stop or protect her while that's what she has been doing to me ever since I left my parents house. I apologised to her whenever I got a chance which frustrated her to no end that she had to threaten me to lock out of our apartment. Giving her a sheepish smile, I apologised again and made a run for it as she got up to hit me.

I felt happy and lucky to have her as my friend since she also went out of her way and helped me on her off days. Since I was overdue with my work, she convinced Addison to help me with few hours. For the next week, we worked together for few more hours and even on our days off.

During this time, I made sure to contact Ethan via a phone call rather than to personally meet him because if I do meet him, I'll lag off my work and I can't do that anymore, not matter if I'm fucking my boss. He told me how they kept tracks on Gwen and Riley, yet there was no clue thrown from their side or any mistake we could catch on and use that has confrontation tool. As days passed, I could feel Ethan's anger getting better off him through the phone as he would yell at his secretary twice or more than I could count. The reason for this was the constant threats that was blowing my phone and when asked to trace, the results were always disappointing. The location would bounce from one place to another. Sometimes, it was from US or Australia or India. It was getting on everyone's nerve.

"Ready to go?" Lizzy's tired voice asked as she walked into the changing room. The stress and worry lines were visible on her face. The black cloud under her eyes was an evident that she wasn't sleeping well. And no one would if they were taken to the station to question their intension for their bestfriend.

Though, apart from that, there was an uneasy feeling inside my chest that gawked at me that there was something Lizzy was hiding from me. I would catch her gazing out, totally zoning from her work, caught up in her own head.

"Yes." I replied and closed the door to my locker. "I'll wait for you outside."

She nodded and proceeded to change from her work clothes while I wait for her outside.

While waiting, I decided to call Ethan. "Hey."

"Hey." He greeted. "How was work?"

"Tiring." I sighed as I lean against the wall. "How was your work?"

"It was okay. I made one of the employee cry today." He mumbled. "I tried to apologise after my outburst, but she was scared out of her wits."

"You need to control your anger."

"How can I do that when your life is at risk? My sister refuses to give me anything and the police is protecting the criminals." He muttered in frustration.

"There could be a reason for the same. You have to trust that when time comes, she will disclose everything along with why was she hiding it from you." I tried to reason with him, though a small part of my brain was agreeing with Ethan. I am involved with my life at stake. I should be knowing.

"Yeah, but before she even gets a chance to reveal everything to me, it could be too late. You could already be in danger. If we already know what we are dealing with or whom we are up against, we could be prepared or atleast take precautions."