One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Chapter 10: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

The walk to Ton D.C. was quiet. Cora trailed behind the wagon, her eyes flickered between Raven and the wrapped body.

He knew.

That's what she'd been telling herself the entire walk. It probably wasn't true. That same promise she granted Bellamy she couldn't grant herself the same relief.

His shoulder bumped into hers. "You doing alright?"

She forces a tight lipped grin, "Yeah. You know stretching my legs. Thinking about all the ways this could go wrong."

He huffs, "You're telling me." He looks ahead.

"Something on your mind?"

"Mount Weather."

"When isn't it?"

"Our people are still in there. If  Clarke can get out, there's gotta be a way in."

"An inside man?" A sour feeling grows in her stomach. Bellamy, as the inside man? She silences any concerns see how Clarke had said not repeatedly. She wanted her friends back, but no at the cost of...him.

"Yeah, someone on the inside to bring the entire thing down. We know what they're gonna do. If we take to long—"

"—we won't. We'll come up with something." Her hand reaches out, hand rubbing at his wrist.

They made camp right before the sun went down. A clear division between the two. Clarke sets up her pad somewhere near the middle. Cora watches from the fire, fingers arms wiggling at the warmth.

She watches Bellamy stroll over, he mutters something. Her reply is just as quiet sitting around a small flame.

Another grounder passes, muttering something to Lincoln. She pays only a small mind to their conversation. Something about being a traitor. Her eyes fell back to Raven. She stares distantly at the fire, thoughts lost elsewhere.

It hurt. All of it. No one was happy. Sleep sounded better than the realities of their situation.

It came sparsely. She tossed and turned most of the night, unable to fully relax. When she did, her mind contorted the heavily radiated faces of her friends. Monty's head was turning far past the point where it should, You have to help us. Jasper appeared next to him. They're going to kill us. Miller reached for her she stumbled back hitting something else. She turns face to face with a mutilated harper, she trips trying to get away. They all reach out for her, dripping hands each for her. She unable to catch her breath, gasping.

Gasping awake, the sun was barely rising. Light hues of blue prefaced the pinks that would follow. She rubs the little sleep from her eyes, sitting up slowly. They ate a poor excuse of a breakfast and continued on.

When they arrived, a gate slid open. The commander and her first stood side by side. Lincoln walked up handing over his blade. "We need to disarm before we enter."

Clarke dropped hers in next. Bellamy failed at holding back an eye roll, releasing the clip from the gun. Sliding the strap off his shoulder. He hands it over to Gustus. Cora handed over the quiver and bow. He eyes the emblem carved into the wood. She forces an overly-kind smile.

Her gaze falls to Raven, who holds a steady glare. First the knife from her bag, her gun, another blade tucked into her brace. Gustus  turns her around, pulling another blade from the top of her bag. Then the side. He turns her back around and takes another thing from her bag.

He turns back to the commander, saying something Cora assumes is all clear. They turn back go the gate and everyone enters behind. Finn's body carried in by grounds on a stretcher. There's a chorus of cheers as the commander enters. The tone shifts, hostile stances and weapons raised at the Sky People.