Tough Love, Shitty Medicine

Chapter 4: Tough Love, Shitty Medicine

"Alright, let's see how much you improved." Sitka spoke walking over to the girl crafting another arrow. She had made ten and was up to twenty with the ones she had made. "Shoot five at the target." She nodded grabbing five arrows from her quiver. He held four of them as she took stance. Drawing the string back she let out a calm breath. Letting go it hit the tree, right above the the outer edge of the target.

"Loosen your grip on the bow. Sitka to stern of a guy he can pull it off," Athena spoke walking over. She crossed her arms watching. "Delicate touch. Go on." Cora nodded taking another arrow. Sitka looked at Athena then back at Cora. The blonde thought she had relaxed but instead ended up in the same spot. "Here, she took an arrow from Sitka handing it to the  blonde. The brunette carefully adjusted the girls touch then stepped back. "Now."

When she let go the arrow flew straight into the middle. She let out a soft laugh, Sitka handed her the last arrow and yet another middle shot. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Miss Athena showing everyone up yet again."

"Shut up," the girl chuckled. Her attention shifted to Cora, "You're a good shot, you guys should go hunting tomorrow." She nodded, "Oh and put the target farther away help improve accuracy."

"Yeah okay." The blonde nodded. She grabbed her quiet slinging it over her shoulder. Walking a couple yards she retrieved the arrows and the target and walked farther out into the woods away from the company of the family.

Cora knew that she would be dead if it wasn't for them. Just another meat suit. She knew Athena was truly a good person, and that Sitka had accepted her unlike how she thought he would. Whereas Kenai was like an annoying little brother who always supported you no matter what came along.

The blonde did as told. Slowly drawing back the string she felt a calm rush over her body. Then release. The arrow whirled through the air driving into dead center. Cora huffed out a small laugh. She pulled back another arrow, same result slightly shifted.

She wanted another challenge something bigger, slinging the bow over her shoulder she walked over to a tree with a decent vantage point.  Step by step she made it to the top able to see the target at an angle. Cora wrapped her legs around the branch, letting out a steady breath she pulled the string back. Her fingertips let go gracefully watching as the arrow. It was on the white not what she fully wanted, but close. The blonde grabbed another arrow pulling it back yet again. Release. "Yes!" She smiled watching it hit the target.

For the next few hours Cora continued to practice. "Cora! Come here I need help with these veggies." She rolled her eyes pulling out the last arrow jogging over. "Good. I really didn't wanna carry them in." Kenai smiled. She shook her head taking them with a playful glare.

"Cora," Scarlett called out to the girl carrying a basket of vegetables. "I've noticed you pick up skills quickly."

"Yeah on the ark a common saying thing was adapt or die. I just apply that to everything I do." The blonde spoke. Her fingers ran through her hair reflexively.

The woman smiled with a nod, "Every warrior has their trait their sort of meaning. I believe yours is strength, but not your own. You have the strength to protect those around you. I want you to be able to say, it's okay that I didn't save everyone. I'm alive. As selfish as it may seem, you need to save yourself before you save others." Cora slightly nodded. What she was saying made sense, but the blonde had never thought of that. "When was the last time you cut your hair, not a trim but a full cut."

"I've never cut my hair. I've just let it grow out my entire life."

"I want to cut it off. I think it'll free you from whatever is trapped beneath your skin. Only if you want of course." Cora let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.