Chapter 14

My thoughts had always been one of the darker places for me, for at least as long as I could remember, a little more than normal and so I always someone who immersed themselves in the arts.

I loved books, and I loved paintings, I secretly loved museums too. There was one museum across town i'd always visit alone, it felt safe, like it was mine even if it wasn't, like the college library, and like my drawing room.

The museum I stood in felt like mine, and something that was yours would always bring you a sense of comfort, which was why I was there yesterday.

I lied to Karsen and told him I was babysitting but I wasn't, I was at the museum at the time he texted me, walking around mindlessly for awhile, clearing my head till I drove back home, checked on my mom, then I drew a little and proceeded to fall asleep.

And now I was using my earphones and drawing on the grass under the shade of a tree, having no work at the library today since it had closed early for some maintenance. A shelf had broken of what was probably old age and the chancellor was scared the others would too, and that would cause a problem for the college, for example they'd have to pay if a person got hurt on campus due to the shelves.

So I didn't have to work today, and so I also completely ignored my last class and decided to come here to laze under this huge tree, that is till I heard someone, a familiar voice and I looked to it behind me.

It was one of the guys Karsen hung out with, Matt, I think.

And he was walking with another guy beside him, that guy holding a guitar and explaining something very passionately as Matt stared at him and answered a few times.

I smiled a little at them and I had no idea why.

They looked so sweet together, admiration clear as day and when Matt looked away and to the front, to me, he smiled a small smile and waved and I blinked, sending a tight lipped smile and wave of my fingers back before I looked back to my art.

It seemed like everyone in his friend group had someone, Summer and Chance, Matt and a shorter ginger head, maybe Karsen did too, maybe.

I continued with my drawing for an hour or so till I got bored and uninspired and laid down on the grass here, the book under my head as I count the leaves of the tree.

Suddenly my phone rang in my pocket and I took it out, looking to see my nonna's name and I answered.

"Yes nonna?"

"No hello ragazza?"

I snort at that, "Hello, how're you?"

"Very bored, would you like to come visit me before Im in my grave?"

I smile at that and almost say sure when I realize I have to go see Karsen today for the stupid project. I almost snarl at the thought but suppress it and roll my eyes instead.

"I can't, I still have my project to do and I don't wanna keep letting my partner down."

"Oh no no then, school always comes first."

"Always." I repeat with a smirk till I look at the time, seeing that it was already five now. "I've got to go, talk when I get home."

"Uh huh." She says, "Be good."

"Will do." I reply before I end the call and get up, bag draped over my shoulders as I walk to the football field that was not too far away from here.

I get there just a few minutes after practice ends, looking for the tallest guy from all till it landed on him and I almost sighed in relief that I wouldn't have to wait.