Legilimency

You have mastered it, as always.

You looked around the classroom. Your classmates are still trying to perform an incantation, Lacarnum Inflamari. A few of the students who have succeeded are showing off like they have cast a nonverbal spell — no, such disrespect to nonverbal spells for saying that.

You don't even care about fame. How disgraceful it is to your house to be as arrogant as those who think they are the brightest.

Continuing to read your book, you are chanting the spell quietly as your lips slightly move.

"Legilimens, Legilimens..."

It's almost like a song to you, whispering softly as your eyes scan through the densely packed print font.

You feel a glance at you in the room crowded with spells.

It was Snape. You are positive that was him. He is reading your mind. 

You look up, meeting his gaze from the depth of the dark eyes. 

What is it, Professor?

Snape narrows his eyes, turns toward his desk abruptly, ignoring your provocative action. 

A smile tugs at your lips, not frustrated with being disturbed by your Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, head right back to your book.

"Hey, what are you reading over there?" Lynn pats you on your shoulder unexpectedly which scowls your eyebrows. 

"Living With Legilimens: Choose Your Minds Wisely," you answer without moving your eyes from the line you are on. 

Lynn is your only friend, or the only one who talks to you. You have no idea why she wanted to be friends with you when you first came. You are cold, and isolated, and what they say — Snape-like. 

Very very Snape-like. 

Glad you don't care what they say. Otherwise, that would have been the most offensive words which would have given them rather a quiet, lovely experience of Langlock.

Lynn shakes her head, "You really are hopeless to read these things."

"Language, Lynn," you release the distance between your eyebrows. "'Hopeless' doesn't seem to be the right word for me, does it?"

"'Quite interested in Legilimency', then. Correct?" Lynn grinned.

"'Course not," you flip the page. "This is only for my light reading this month."

"There's a reason," an evilly smile appears on Lynn's face. "Am I right?"

You let out a long sigh, "Yes, you're right. This is insufferable."

"Language Miss y/ln," Lynn imitates your tone. "'Insufferable' doesn't seem to be the right word for this situation, does it?"

You roll your eyes, "'Unbearable', then. Correct?"

"Ten points from each your house, Miss y/ln and Miss Lynch," Snape's tone could freeze water into ice, blasts behind you. "For your meaningless conversation occurred."

You know he's simply responding to your provocation. You smirk directly at him. 

You see he raises an eyebrow in curiosity, glancing at you with the mind-reading again.

Professor, I think there is a meaningless deduction of points occurred.

Snape's eyes occupy with fury, but disappeared instantly. He turns on his heel, moves forward and knocks on the board startlingly. 

"Silence!"

The room quiets down as if of a sudden. 

"I am so disappointed in you, all of you," Snape states. "Each of you ought to be ashamed by your performance today in class. I'm supposing even all the fifth years have become proficient in this uncomplicated spell. 

"However, clearly, you have accomplished extraordinary works which I'm so supposed to be pleased with and granted you praise for 'done exceptionally well'.

"Not an exception in you, Miss y/ln," his tone drops to icy cold when mentioning your last name.

What an extraordinary accomplishment in his language.

"That was right on you," Lynn mutters on your way to your next class. "He's always on you."

You smirk instead, "You know, I've choked him way harder than his reprimands on me."

"You mean you were..."

"He was trying to read my mind, I talked back fiercely and he could do nothing with it though." The complacent look on your face is even stronger, "That felt brilliant!"

Lynn laughed, "I'm sure it did! Imagine talking back to Professor Snape!"

She emphasized "Professor" ironically.

"Yeah!" you agreed, "And he could not penalize you because he has no proof!"

"Miss y/ln," extending each syllable in the voice behind frightens both of you. "If I were correct, you take pride in talking back to a teacher, don't you?"

Oh, sugar.

"I'm sorry, Professor," you bite your lip and decide not to make this worse, "I suppose I should not have that thought."

"Detention," he drops the word and leaves in stride with his robe fluttering behind him.

"How the heck is he in the corridor and following us like a ghost!" Lynn explodes after a long period of awkward silence.

"Exactly what I thought," you sigh after a few seconds. "All of a sudden I thought he would appear, and he did."