Negotiation

You skip Herbology.

But, seriously, you don't care about it anymore. You stay in the library, doing absolutely nothing the entire afternoon.

Finally, the bell rings and the last course ends. You get yourself up, walking slowly toward the exit of the library.

You didn't go back to your common room or go for the Quidditch practice, again, you head off to Snape's office. You have things to say to him, a lot.

Snape waves his wand and the door opens with a gust of wind.

You look at him in the eyes, he holds his quill in his hand but still also stares back at you. Shortly, he leans back on his chair, "Now, I would like to invite Miss y/ln to recognize who's interrupting who."

You step inside, also give the door a wave so it slams and locks. You approach him, use a voice calm enough, "Two reasons of why I am here."

Snape motions you to continue, as if he's listening to the morning news.

You take a deep breath, "First, I require your help. It's agonizing."

"Require?" he raises one of his eyebrows.

"Require. This is an immediate request. I have to get rid of this, asap. Help will always be given out in Hogwarts, and I'm sure the head of Slytherin knows it clearly. Since you defected him, it would be obvious and clear that you have the responsibility to give out help for your students."

"What do you want me to help with, then?" he said, with no clue of if he's willing to help or not.

"Help me get rid of the Dark Mark," you close your eyes for a second and then open them. "Help me, please."

Snape didn't answer.

"Please."

"You know what the Dark Lord said, don't you?" he replies, this is like a negotiation.

"Yes, I know exactly. That's why I require your help."

Snape gets his gaze off from you, "I'm not helping."

"Please!" you shout. "Please, I—I can't do it! Say the least, I'm underage!"

Snape presses his temples lazily, "I said I'm not going to help."

"If you don't, let's talk about something from last night with the Headmaster."

Snape's gaze is so fierce that you try to keep eye contact with him with all your might, "Are you, threatening me?" He accentuated each syllable.

"No, how dare I threaten you? I know I'm asking too much, but please do something. Either say something to the Dark Lord, or help me out with his order. Just do something, please."

"Then what will you give me in return, Miss y/ln?"

You fall into silence, then you reply as if you've decided something considerably large and important, "Anything."

He seems to be shocked and freezes for a long time. You see his pupils moving in mournfulness, trying to grab something in the air, and he finally says.

"Well, I exist to help."

"What's your second reason, then?" he asks after accepting your request.

This time, instead of looking directly at him, you lower your head and say, "I, I think something should be stopped."

"What?" Snape knows what you are talking about, it is extremely necessary to stop it, he knows. But he still wants to play around with it.

"I know you wouldn't like to give it up, but it has to be over," you sigh, tying your hands together. "I do not want anything between us more than partners."

"'Partners'? Which 'partners' are you referring to, Miss y/ln?" Snape can't help but laugh at your silly words. You were confused at first but suddenly realized how powerful the language is.

For God's sake! And Heaven's, Goodness's, Pete's!

You are choked.

"Partners, collaborative partners, mutual benefit partners, you understand?" you explode finally.

He can't hold back to make fun of you, "It might have escaped your brilliant mind that both 'partners' need collaborations, and both give mutual benefits, Miss y/ln."

"What the!" your face flashes red. You know your purpose of this conversation, but you feel like you are trapped completely in his little game. You clear your throat, "Professor, I really think this is inappropriate."

"Inappropriate? What has happened, Miss y/ln?" Snape doesn't even care to hide his smug smile any longer.

You breathe, try to calm yourself down so as not fall into his trick again, "Don't we have some special relationship, Professor?"

Snape raises his left eyebrow, a smile tugs on his lips, "At your request, it will come to a suspension."

"A suspension?" a trick, another one.

"Yes, a suspension," Snape suddenly stands up, leaning forward with his hands on his desk, looking into your eyes with his signature bantering smile. "Or...do you want more?"

You roll your eyes in response to his teasing, "I want it to be ended."

"Sure, temporarily," he sits back down, grabs his quill and starts to write something. "Now, you may get out."

"I—I, may get out?" how disrespectful he's getting! You turn toward the door and attempt to leave.

"Wait right there," Snape suddenly commands, you turn back in curiosity.

"What is it?"

Snape stands up and comes toward you, you watch him warily as he takes every step closer to you.

"You really got extraordinary negotiating skills, Miss y/ln."

You have no idea if it's a positive or a negative comment.

"Especially when you were requiring help." He's a few feet away from you, much taller than you that you have to look up.

"Thank you for your reprimand, Professor Snape," you said ironically.

Snape tilts his head a bit, then turns abruptly toward his desk. With a flick of his wand, the door opened rapidly.

He says on his way back to his desk.

"It is more of a compliment, Miss y/ln."