Patton's First Day

Summary: Early mornings with Logan, and work-time cuddles with Virgil. Patton's life really is getting good.

Usually Logan woke up in the morning with Virgil cuddled up to him, strapped to him like a koala, getting any skin-to-skin contact he could before Logan had to disappear for the day to make an income. He always enjoyed night-time cuddles, although he'd never reveal that. It just felt so secure to have someone who wanted to get that close to you and made you so relaxed you could fall asleep. Virgil was soft and cautious when he cuddled both when he was asleep and awake – and Logan really did desire that care twenty-four hours a day.

This moment was not like all other previous nights though. As Logan slowly stirred awake he noticed the usual lump on his chest was a lot smaller and the grasp was a lot tighter. When his eyes finally opened he spotted a blurry version of the sleeping face of his foster son, Patton, lying on top of him. It had been two weeks and Logan often forgot he had a foster son. The toddler's glasses were on and he didn't seem to want to let go one bit. Logan could sit up at least and clear his vision with his own glasses, finding the time to be 6am, and Virgil was still passed out and trapping the man by an arm around his hips. This... was a weird situation to be in. It still didn't feel right.

Luckily he was freed by Patton starting to stir and wake. His eyes were half lidded but he stayed clasped to Logan with a smile. "Why aren't you in your bed Patton?" The man said simply, he wasn't going to sugar-coat his questions just because the person he was speaking to was born the same year Prince Harry got married. The toddler yawned and shuffled a little closer to Logan's chest.

"Nightmare..." He mumbled slowly, rubbing his eyes and yawning again. "Will I be here forever?"

"No. You're going to return to your parents soon." Logan managed to untangle himself from Virgil's arm as he stood up. Patton looked less than pleased at the answer he received and sucked his thumb shyly. The pair eventually got to Patton's room and Logan placed him in bed – but he didn't seem to need sleep. "Do you want a bedtime story?"

"I'm hungry." Patton said plainly, getting out of the bed and toddling around the house until he reached the stairs. The toddler stopped, staring at Logan expectantly. Virgil and Logan did have railings on the stairs but they were too high for Patton to reach and the wall was uneven. It was yet another thing the house-proud man had to change about his abode because of a small human his husband felt protective over. "Help?"

Logan did as told, holding Patton's hand as he went down the stairs step by step. It was slow and somewhat tedious but Patton seemed to enjoy holding onto someone and was looking around the house once he reached the bottom floor. Logan wondered to the kitchen, getting a slice of toast for himself as well as a coffee because he really didn't want to be up at this time. "I'm hungry!" Patton appeared out of nowhere again and whined. Unlike the previous day he didn't seem to be entertained by playing on his own with the dozens of toys Emile brought for him.

"I'm making toast." Logan's voice showed his tiredness as he sipped his coffee, but Patton was satisfied with that answer and waited. The toaster revealed the bread and after applying his favourite Crofters jam Logan turned to the side. "Do you like toast buddy?"

The toddler nodded and tried reaching up at the spare toast that was usually reserved for Virgil (he liked cold toast). Logan found one of the plastic plates and put the toast on it, spreading butter over it. "This!" Patton shouted, trying to drag the glass jar of jam off the counter too. Logan swatted the hand away and carried the two meals to the table, placing jam on Patton's toast too. While the toddler struggled to get on the chair at first he eventually managed it with an accomplished smile. "Why you sad 'ogan?" Patton chirped, grabbing the toast by the jam, and speaking with his mouth full. Logan only raised his head and sighed to himself before answering quietly.