'Mommy'

Summary: Today is Patton's birthday - and with mixed emotions he's excited to see someone from his old life come back to celebrate with him.

When Patton woke up the next morning he was surprised to see Virgil looming over him, but he had a soft smile so he knew it was alright. Logan was watching too from a shorter distance than usual – he usually stood by the doorway with a frowny face and straight posture but now he also wore Virgil's soft smile and had knelt a little bit so he could reach Virgil's shoulder. "Morning buddy, had a good sleep?"

Patton nodded and reached out his hands so he could be held by Virgil. Both Virgil and Patton's mother liked spoiling the toddler by holding him to take him places even though he could perfectly walk himself, Virgil had a lot more times to do so though. "Should I help sweetheart?" Logan mumbled, holding Patton's back gently so that he was secure in Virgil's grip. He also placed Patton's glasses on him so Patton could see the world clearly. Logan looked surprisingly calm, even his voice was a quiet whisper. "Good morning Patton. We have something to show you!"

"It's Mommy?" Patton chirped, his mind automatically recollecting the dream he just had where he was playing with his Mommy again with lots of cakes and all the toys he had gotten from Virgil and Logan. The two men glanced at each other, and their smiles faltered, but only for a second before Patton could realise.

"Not quite, but do you want to go downstairs and see anyway?" Patton nodded and wiped his eyes, enjoying the warmth of Virgil as he held him. The husbands walked down the stairs slowly, mumbling questions about what breakfast Patton would like on this 'special day'. Patton wondered what special day they were talking about until he saw the living room decorated in millions and billions of colours.

On every wall were white and blue banners with the corners covered in poles of rainbow balloons from red reaching the ceiling to purple on the floor. The toddler wriggled down and went straight to the balloons to hold it and hit it like a drum. Logan and Virgil must have got him a new toy!

But then Patton saw a glittery pastel blue banner right by the front door with the funny shapes he saw in all the books Virgil and Logan had read to him all these months. The two grown men seemed paused in place, holding hands and watching the toddler, their eyes curious when they saw Patton staring at the bright blue sign. "Wha dat say 'ogan?" The toddler mumbled, running back to Logan and pointing at the new sign. Logan picked him up automatically and walked up to the banner.

"It says 'happy birthday'!" Logan cheered, squishing Patton's cheek but he had a confused expression. "It's your birthday today! Did you forget?"

Patton could remember his last birthday, with his Mom in his house and his Dad had left for the day to wherever he went to when he wasn't hurting his family. He went to a bakery to buy a cupcake and then ate the cupcake and watched a Disney movie with his Mom. He had his Mom with him like he did everyday before landing in this new land of caring men and many toys and freedom to be as loud and happy as he wanted.

"Shi... Virgil?" Logan chirped and quickly turned back to his husband, a worried look on his face. "Why are you crying Pat? What's wrong kiddo?" Patton's eyes were watery and weird mumbles were coming out of his mouth. He only felt like this when he was locked into his bedroom so his Mom could be hurt – but this time he had people with him. Why was he upset then?

Patton was sniffling and choking on his tears as he was held by Logan and hugged by Virgil. He didn't seem to calm though. "Do you not like it? We can take some of the decorations down if you want." Virgil whispered, bringing a hand through the toddler's hair as he examined what could be wrong. One of Patton's arms was hugging Ka-Ka and the other was empty apart from the clutch onto Logan's pyjama top. "Oh! It's F'oggie Sherlock." The therapist smiled and kissed his husband's cheek before running back up the stairs to find the dropped frog teddy. Logan took Patton to the sofa and sat with him in a cuddle, making sure Ka-Ka wasn't dropped either while Patton was crying.