Chapter 23: Julien XXII

At the time, Luo Wenzhou was pushing the door and entering the room. As he walked in with head bent and brooding, he heard Tao Ran's query and looked up in surprise: “What happened?”

Tao Ran hardly cared to talk about the issue of the personal heroism cancer with “Captain China Luo”. Frowning, he said: “Zhang Donglai's fingerprints are on the tie that Lawyer Liu sent. Per the initial assessment, this tie is consistent with the bruise on the neck of the deceased. There is a small amount of blood stains on it – He Zhongyi's skin around his neck was broken when he was strangled. If they work overtime, the DNA test results could come out as early as tomorrow morning. The forensics team said that the possibility of this tie being the murder weapon is very high.”

Luo Wenzhou listened without speaking. After Tao Ran finished, he looked up at the clock. It was close to midnight.

“Go get him,” he said. “I reckon Fei Du hasn't left yet. Even if he has, it should not be long – we can get him.”

Fei Du indeed had not left yet.

After they made notes on his testimony, he again sat next to Mother He as a companion for a while.

Perhaps it was the companion she had all the time, or the fact that the Bureau was brightly lit in the middle of the night, Mother He seemed to see the dim light of hope. Her mood was also stable. She was even able to chat with FEI Du: “Before you came, I seem to see the man who was here in the afternoon… what's his name…”

She was referring to Mr. Liu, but for a moment she could not remember what he did for a living. After a moment of hum and haw, her mind was still in a mess, so she simply skipped that part and asked: “Have they found new evidence?”

The cozy chair for Mother He was not very suitable for President Fei. There was no room for his legs. The young master refused to curl himself up for the purpose of a good image, so he had no choice but to put his legs in an awkward position. As a result, it did not take long for his feet to get numb. he could not help but reach out and pat them: “Maybe… what are you going to do after the murderer is caught? Go home?”

Mother He lowered her eyelids, but she did not reply. She just glanced at his hand on the leg and said: “You're not a policeman, are you? It's very late, you should quickly go home.”

Apart from the leg numbness, Fei Du did not feel tired at all. For a young man of pleasure like him, it was just the beginning of the nightlife, and it was the time for him to be in the groove.

It was a pity that there was no beauty around today. He only had a wizened middle-aged lady as a companion. However, Fei Du treated ladies of all ages equally without discrimination. It might be a good thing for him to meet thousands of good-looking people in his life as he had cultivated the ability to not be dazzled by appearances.

“It's okay. Let me stay with you for a while,” Fei Du said to her. “My mother left us when I was very young… Even when she was still above ground, she always had to take medications and was not able to go out for work. My dad was busy at work and he was never at home. I was in school. My school was far from home, so I lived near the school with the housekeeper. Once per week, I went home to meet her.”

Mother He looked at Fei Du timidly: “You are such a good-looking boy. Your mother must loved you so much that she must have been looking forward to seeing you at home every day. For mothers like us, who have no exceptional skills or achievements, the only thing left for us to look forward to each day are children like you.”

At these words, Fei Du beamed at her without turning a hair: “Hmm.”

As he looked up, he saw Luo Wenzhou and Tao Ran coming over, both wearing overtime faces. Once they were a few steps away, Tao Ran waved at him.