9

December was rough but they got through it. Christmas was mellow. Jay had left such a big hole in their hearts. Louis was sad that his beloved son would never know his grandmother.
"We'll tell him all about her." Harry promised and kissed his cheek while they watched Freddie make a mess of the small cake Harry had made especially for him. He picked up his camera and took another picture. He was always photographing him, documenting his progress.

Harry received an unexpected offer to audition for a Hollywood movie. Once again Louis told him to go for it. He and Freddie could join him on set. He read for the role, thinking he wouldn't get it but he was wrong. He couldn't believe it! Acting was another one of his dreams. He signed a contract to star in Dunkirk. That meant that it was time to cut his hair. Louis was most upset about it since he loved Harry's wonderfully long, curly hair but Harry donated it to a charity that made wigs for cancer sick children and Louis felt better about it.

Harry's first album was released in May and they went to the U.S since he started working on the film. Louis and Freddie went with him on set, staying in his trailer when Freddie needed to nap. He had started walking and was running around on his chubby legs.

Louis was so happy and proud of his husband but he noticed that he seemed to be under a lot of press. He asked him about it one night when they had gone to bed and Freddie was sleeping in his crib.
"What's wrong Harry?"

Harry sighed and turned to the side so he could look at him.
"Our 18 months are almost up. We need to find a nanny because soon we will be touring nonstop again for God knows how long." Harry answered, sounding anxious.

Oh. Louis had forgotten about that. Too much had happened.
"We can't do that. No. We would never see him and we would be too exhausted. Liam is finally sober and Niall has a solo career. I'm not ready either. I'm still grieving and I wanna focus on Freddie and you."

"Yeah, but what choice do we have?" Harry asked.

Louis thought about it.
"I can talk to Simon. If I sign with him as a solo artist he might let us go for now."

"No way! I won't let you do that!" Harry argued upset.

But Louis stood his ground.
"I want to Harry. It's kind of perfect. Simon hates me but he's also too much of a greedy businessman to say no to that offer. He won't let me do a record though and I don't want to now anyway. I don't think I can write any good songs at the moment. I just wanna be a dad now. Focus on Freddie. I also wanna see you bloom, Harry. You deserve a solo career because you're a star."

"So are you!" Harry protested.

"Maybe." Louis smiled.

"You are!" Harry said and kissed his cheek.

"Yeah, well, not right now. I know I promised me mum that I would keep going but I need a break." Louis said.

"Are you sure?" Harry hesitated.

"Positive. Let me do this for you and Freddie and the guys. I want to do it." Louis said.

"You always sacrifice yourself, Lou. It makes me feel awful. It's not fair." Harry said.

"I don't see it as a sacrifice Haz. I get to spend time with our son and make sure that you get to as well while pursuing your dreams." Louis smiled.

"But what about your dreams?" Harry questioned.

"Don't worry about them. They're still there and I will pursue them when I'm ready and I know that you will support me then." Louis said.

"Of course, I will. Always." Harry promised.

"So, are we doing this?" Louis asked.

"If this really is what you want, but Louis, I hope you don't feel like this is something you have to do for me. I'll be alright otherwise. We'll make it work somehow. We always do." Harry replied softly.

"I want to do this. I'm doing it for me too. I can't go back to the band just yet. I'm not ready." Louis said.

"Let me sign with Simon then! You don't have to sign with anyone." Harry argued upset.

"You already have a record deal, love. You can't break that contract." Louis reminded him.

"Right. Damn it. I don't like this!" Harry said. He nuzzled closer, seeking comfort.

"Neither do I but it's gonna be okay, Haz." Louis assured him. He leaned over him and planted a kiss against his lips. "I love you."

"I love you too." Harry replied softly.

They kissed again which led to sex. Harry fell asleep afterward but Louis laid awake. He had made the right decision. He wasn't looking forward to being under Simons' claws again but he would find a way out eventually. He always did. He knew that Harry felt like he was the one who always sacrificed himself but he would do anything for the people he loved and Harry and Freddie meant everything to him.

He called Simon the next day who agreed to the deal. He asked Niall and Liam to come over and informed them about his decision. They were as upset as Harry had been but there was nothing they could do about it and deep down they were grateful. They promised to make it up to him somehow. They had endorsed their fair share as well during their five years in the band. Neither of them would ever be the same.