Chapter 1

Max! Wake up," Cody yelled in my ear, sitting on the edge of our bed. "I need your help to get Zack up so we're not late for school,"

"We're never late," I mumbled, turning over. "You always get us there half an hour early,"

"You know what they say," Cody said, standing on my bed as if about to make a speech, "The early bird catches the word!"

"Well make Zack the early bird next time," I said, defeat, starting to sit up. I looked round our stupid cramped room. Cody hidden away on his bottom bunk with a towel, whilst Zack snored above. There was a desk next to my bed, but it was so badly cluttered with old school assignments there was no point. Zack's was pretty similar, except cluttered with food, mostly. Then Cody's desk was perfect as a pin, obviously. Our closets pretty much worked the same way. My clothes were all shoved in, (Not that I wore most of them), Zack had food and other junk in his, and Cody's was pristine and perfect. Zack and I found Cody's perfection annoying.

I got up and went over to the bunk bed, grabbing Zack's ankles and pulling him off the bed. "I fricking hate you sometimes, Maxine," he said, turning to me.

"I hate you to, Zackary," I teased back with a smile.

"Zack, language," Cody huffed.

"American," Zack replied with a smile, thinking he was clever.

"You mean English, dufus," I said, slapping him playfully round the head. As much as we teased each other, I loved Zack. He was the only one who knew my insecurities with being a girl, and why I always wore my cap. It was my identity. And although he called me Maxine, he knew how much it hurt me when other people did it.

I started to get ready, looking in the mirror at my shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes. How could I look like this when my fellow triplets had matching blond hair and blue-green eyes? I thought I took after my father, Kurt Martin, but I wasn't too sure. I quickly ran a brush through it, then tied it into plates and carefully placed it in my cap. Then I pulled my stupid bangs up a bit too so I could hardly be mistaken for a girl. Yeah, there were days I wore my hair down and my girly clothes, but that was very rarely.

Grabbing some jeans and a t-shirt, I darted into the bathroom to get changed. I used to get changed in front of the boys no problem. But I was twelve, things were changing. Maybe not for them, but I needed my space.

.

When we'd forced down mom's terrible cooking we went to school. We didn't really have many friends. We'd moved to the area when we were 10 and just stuck together, really. I liked it that way, but I could tell Zack was getting sick of it. As I'd told Cody, we were half an hour early.

"Aw, man!" Zack moaned, "Max this is all your fault. I could've slept for another half hour,"

"Don't blame me," I said defensively holding my arms up, "Cody got me up,"

Cody smiled.

"Shut up," Zack snapped at him.

"I didn't even say anything!" Cody wined.

"Well, I know what you were thinking, we're twins,"

"You're not twins," I yelled. I hated it when people called them that. "You are two identical triplets," that's what mom had told me.

"Yeah, yeah," Zack dismissed my point. "What are we fighting for anyway?"

"We are not fighting," Cody argued. "We're having a creative discussion."

"Shut up," I snapped. "Hey, Zack, you wanna shoot some hoops?"

"Sure!" Zack replied happily.

"Guys, can I play?" Cody asked.