[CHAPTER THREE]

He just left.

No call, no apology, no note.

What could she do? There was nothing she could do, he was already all the way back in Chicago.

And Eurydice was still there, in her dorm at Eden Hall, wallowing in her own self pity.

Maybe her mother was right, she should have never gotten involved with a boy like Dean, she just thought maybe he truly liked her.

At least liked her enough to not leave without a word.

For the last few weeks of the summer Eurydice had not gotten out of the dorm except to go to the toilet, she barely even felt like eating.

Julie had to convince her to eat half her plate but most days Eurydice would sleep through the day.

The funny thing is, she didn't cry.

Not a single tear squeezed out of her eye, her hurt and pain affected her so deeply yet tears refused to form. All she did was sleep and sigh.

The more she thought of Dean the tighter her throat felt, she was such an idiot.

Of course she was played, for months they had been apart, Eurydice shouldn't have expected him to be by her side, he was an athletic decent looking guy, he probably already had a rebound back in Chicago.

One that didn't talk back, one that didn't contradict everything he said.

Why would he leave without a word?

Even Fulton didn't know why, he just knew Dean wasn't going to Eden Hall.

No matter how many times she tried to call him, no one would answer.

The rest of the team tried to get hold of him as well but to no avail.

School was about to start and Eurydice knew she had to get her shit together before the first day, although she was hurt by Dean she couldn't let it dominate the first week of high school.

~

"You ready?" Julie asked with her famed bright smile spread across her face.

Eurydice sighed, hooking on the bracelet Dean had sent her over the summer break onto her bag. She couldn't bring herself to wear it anymore but it felt wrong to not have it around her.

"Ya, guess so."

Julie could sense the hesitation Eurydice had, the uneasiness in her voice gave it away.

Julie walked up to Eurydice and hugged her from the back, "It's going to be okay, I'm sure Portman is okay. And you'll be okay, you still have the rest of us."

The two girls walked out of their dorm, meeting up with Kenny and Dwayne who were only a few dorms down.

Kenny noticed the crestfallen expression on Eurydice's face, her disappointment obvious to those who knew her.

The boy gave her shoulder a supportive squeeze, "He'll call back."

Eurydice scoffed, "Doubt so. I just want to enjoy today, I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't bring him up."

Dwayne smiled, "That's the spirit!"

Where would the Ducks be without cowboy?

~

The honorary Ducks walked together to the main school building which was only a few minutes away from the dorms.

The front gate was flooded with waves of students chattering, laughing, screaming, crying.